Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Intermittent hyper flash blinker

LVST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have a 2020 that started hyper flashing today after the battery died. I jump started it, and took it for a drive. I hit the left blinker and it starts slow, and then fast, and sometimes slow again. The dash and clicking sound both go fast, but the outside lights flash at the normal pace. Only left blinker, no LED’s, and currently on stock software. Battery is at 14.6v while running, and 11.2v off.
I ordered a new battery because I’m tired of taking this thing to the dealer. Still has 7 of the 13 recalls open.

Here’s a vid.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Maybe it’s telling you your tires are low.

OP
L

LVST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Dealer set it there during the last recall appt. Thanks for trying to be helpful

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It could be the battery. With the vehicle Off the voltage should be about 12.6V

OP
L

LVST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
It could be the battery. With the vehicle Off the voltage should be about 12.6V
Yes. I purchased a new battery. I am more concerned about the hyper flashing, and if it indicates a short, or some other issue that may have killed the battery in 2 years

Reactions
I’m a Ford tech and I’ve had two 2020 explorers with the same blinker behavior as yours (no idea why) but it should have a DTC set that corresponds to this issue… I used the FDRS scan tool and went into the BCM module and performed a “LIN initialization” problem solved!

OP
L

LVST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
I’m a Ford tech and I’ve had two 2020 explorers with the same blinker behavior as yours (no idea why) but it should have a DTC set that corresponds to this issue… I used the FDRS scan tool and went into the BCM module and performed a “LIN initialization” problem solved!

Thank you. I changed the battery last night and did the reset with the high beams and brake pedal. I saw that others had varied success with it, but the battery symbol flashed for me. Are there any other things I need to do after changing? I have FORScan.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thank you. I changed the battery last night and did the reset with the high beams and brake pedal. I saw that others had varied success with it, but the battery symbol flashed for me. Are there any other things I need to do after changing? I have FORScan.
I don't know about this high beams - brake pedal reset but if you have Forscan, run the service procedure under Body Control Module: Battery Monitoring System Reset.

Swartztech

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer Limited
I have a 2020 that started hyper flashing today after the battery died. I jump started it, and took it for a drive. I hit the left blinker and it starts slow, and then fast, and sometimes slow again. The dash and clicking sound both go fast, but the outside lights flash at the normal pace. Only left blinker, no LED’s, and currently on stock software. Battery is at 14.6v while running, and 11.2v off.
I ordered a new battery because I’m tired of taking this thing to the dealer. Still has 7 of the 13 recalls open.

Here’s a vid.

Thanks in advance.
Hello! Did you ever find a fix?

My wife has a 2020 Explorer Limited with this same issue. Have taken it to the dealership many times. Once they replaced some control module that fixed it for a month or so but it came back and now it does it constantly and now even the bulb doesn't flash anymore in the headlight.