Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Interior Rattle / Clicking Noise

advacomp

Reactions
Vehicle
Black 2020 ST, Black 2022 F-150 Lariat
I know there are many threads on interior noises coming from front seats, rear doors, and sunroof, but as far as I can tell we are experiencing a different noise. Dealer has confirmed noise but is unable to pinpoint the source during test drives. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Sometimes its constant the entire drive, other times it only happens on rough roads and over bumps. It's driving us crazy, sounds like someone clicking a retractable pen non-stop.

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
I have something similar but it's a different ticking sound above 35 mph what to me sounds like it's coming from passenger window. Need to have the underbody checked

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Sounds like the undershield. If you haven't done so already, replace all plastic fasteners with stainless m6 nut and fender washer.

OP
advacomp

advacomp

Reactions
Vehicle
Black 2020 ST, Black 2022 F-150 Lariat
Thread Starter #4
Sounds like the undershield. If you haven't done so already, replace all plastic fasteners with stainless m6 nut and fender washer.
The plastic fasteners have already been replaced with hardware. We had that issue on our 2021 Limited as well but the noise it created was a lot deeper, muffled, and nowhere near as rapid as what we experience now. We do have the middle seat in the 2nd row and have tried all sorts of adjustments but no change. I have other recordings where I rotate the phone around while its happening and it's loudest in those underneath the 2nd row, but I know thats not a guaranteed lead.

BBGun242

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer
There's a heat shield right underneath that spot on the muffler. Could be that, I know mine is a little flimsy as well and is likely causing one of the noises I hear.