Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Interested in ST feedback

How happy are ST owners

• Problems with new engine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Recalls

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
Hey, I’m Craig, and was interested to see what ST owners thought about it. My wife and I had had a limited Explorer since 2012 and it’s been a great vehicle. Starting to have some issues, 165,000 miles, guess you can expect that!
We’ve been looking at ST’s and wondered if the new engine is a risky move? Thanks!

Reactions
I think it may be a bit early to know if it's a risky move or not since 2020 was the first year for this model. If there is anyone having issues, you'll have the best chance of finding them posted here than anywhere else I'm sure.

As for my personal experience so far, although I am only 1,800km in to my ownership of it, I love it. The seats are very comfortable, the ride is a bit stiff due to it being a sport model, but it isn't intolerable by any means; the benefits outweigh the downsides in that case. I typically drive it in Normal or Eco mode while commuting to and from work, but when I want to have some fun, Sport mode definitely wakes it up. It handles very well with minimal body roll.

If you're hard on the throttle and brakes constantly, you can probably expect issues early on like you would with any vehicle. Drive it responsibly and as long as there are no inevitable issues waiting around the corner, nothing catastrophic should arise.

I don't regret the purchase at all and feel the money is well spent considering how much is packed in to this vehicle.

Reactions
I love it. If it treats me as good as my 13 Focus ST it is a winner!. Yes do the needed mods like catch can etc which you can research on this forum. The rear drive platform is what the vehicle needed. I have owned a 95 and a 98 explorer then on to a Yukon and now back. I drove the 2021 Range Rover with the supercharged V8 and that is some vehicle but could not justify price tag.

Tommy

Reactions
Hey, I’m Craig, and was interested to see what ST owners thought about it. My wife and I had had a limited Explorer since 2012 and it’s been a great vehicle. Starting to have some issues, 165,000 miles, guess you can expect that!
We’ve been looking at ST’s and wondered if the new engine is a risky move? Thanks!
We had the 2010 Limited and loved it. We are now in the 2021 ST. The power is night in day with the 2010 Limited. If your looking for some fun and a lot more power jump at the ST. We also tested the smaller 2021 XLT engine. It was fine if you don’t have any interest in the power. Test drive, test drive, test drive. Look the car over very well. Then pick what your wife wants.

good luck and enjoy.
We have no regrets at 2000 miles. Love the car.

Reactions
Had a 2014 Explorer Sport and though it was the best one that would be a long term keeper. It was the most fun Explorer ever, having owned a 1993 XLT and a 2006 SLT. But the 2014 started having issues with leaking sunroof, electrical accessories frequently failing, power seat problems and more. So on the last frustrated stop at the dealership, I spotted the 2020 ST on the lot and grabbed it with no ADM demanded by the dealer. I am having so much more urn with it It handles and drives very differently from any previous model that i have had.. The power and suspension is amazing. It that feels and handles more sporty than a heavy utility wagon.

Blackssr

Reactions
Just get the extended warranty and call it a day.