Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Intercooler

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Well, I finally purchased my intercooler. I'm stoked and can't wait to install it. Once it's installed I will tune the car. I've been shopping around for months and reading post on here. I can't wait to feel the difference in power and git up. I am kind of excited to see if I can feel a difference with the intercooler by itself before the tune. We shall see. Either way should be done within a month.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Well, I finally purchased my intercooler. I'm stoked and can't wait to install it. Once it's installed I will tune the car. I've been shopping around for months and reading post on here. I can't wait to feel the difference in power and git up. I am kind of excited to see if I can feel a difference with the intercooler by itself before the tune. We shall see. Either way should be done within a month.
FWIW, I sent my initial data logs for my ZFG DMS tune before installing the IC. I did final logging after installing the revised tune and IC. All I got back was an email saying everything looked great, no new revision. Point is, you should be ok with doing the tune before the IC. It will definitely have a bigger impact on power and git up.

OP
W
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Thread Starter #3
FWIW, I sent my initial data logs for my ZFG DMS tune before installing the IC. I did final logging after installing the revised tune and IC. All I got back was an email saying everything looked great, no new revision. Point is, you should be ok with doing the tune before the IC. It will definitely have a bigger impact on power and git up.
Awesome, thank you for the info. I'm excited

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
I'm sure someone will correct me for saying something dumb lol...the FMIC doesn't give you any more power on its own. I mean maybe a couple with the colder charge air. The tune is what unlocks the ST and the intercooler allows you to have more consistent pulls for longer since you don't get the heat soak of the engine bay.

Install is actually not bad at all. Be careful of the wiring to the front camera when you pull the bumper. Other than just being bigger parts it wasn't a terrible project compared to when I did it on my Fusion Sport.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'm sure someone will correct me for saying something dumb lol...the FMIC doesn't give you any more power on its own. I mean maybe a couple with the colder charge air. The tune is what unlocks the ST and the intercooler allows you to have more consistent pulls for longer since you don't get the heat soak of the engine bay.

Install is actually not bad at all. Be careful of the wiring to the front camera when you pull the bumper. Other than just being bigger parts it wasn't a terrible project compared to when I did it on my Fusion Sport.
It isn't so much about the engine bay heat, but the stock IC is very undersized and gets overwhelmed quickly under boost conditions, resulting in 200 deg F intake, which will back down boost, timing, and power. The aftermarket ones available keep that intake temp much cooler so you can maintain boost and timing, at least for a while longer than you can with the stock part.

OP
W
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Thread Starter #6

I agree with you. I'm going to install in my driveway. I'm hoping to be able to do it without have to jack the front end off the ground. We will see.

OP
W
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Thread Starter #7
It isn't so much about the engine bay heat, but the stock IC is very undersized and gets overwhelmed quickly under boost conditions, resulting in 200 deg F intake, which will back down boost, timing, and power. The aftermarket ones available keep that intake temp much cooler so you can maintain boost and timing, at least for a while longer than you can with the stock part.
Agreed. I'm excited either way!!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I agree with you. I'm going to install in my driveway. I'm hoping to be able to do it without have to jack the front end off the ground. We will see.
I did mine without jacking it up or removing the front tires. Just make sure you keep a count of all the harnesses you disconnect. My parking sensors were crying after I got (almost) everything back together because I'd missed a harness on the driver's side. Fortunately it was something I could resolve without having to tear it back apart.

OP
W
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Thread Starter #9
I did mine without jacking it up or removing the front tires. Just make sure you keep a count of all the harnesses you disconnect. My parking sensors were crying after I got (almost) everything back together because I'd missed a harness on the driver's side. Fortunately it was something I could resolve without having to tear it back apart.
Yeah, I'm going to count and mark everything. It looks like the hardest part really is getting the actual front bumper off. I ordered the CVfab intercooler. Should be a direct swap out and install.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Tires don't have to come off thankfully. Take some pictures as you take stuff apart if need be. Here are a couple great video that walks you through it step by step (with a lift of course).

I had my dash light up like crazy since I started it up to make sure there weren't any leaks. Once it was all put together everything went back to normal.

OP
W
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Thread Starter #11
Tires don't have to come off thankfully. Take some pictures as you take stuff apart if need be. Here are a couple great video that walks you through it step by step (with a lift of course).

I had my dash light up like crazy since I started it up to make sure there weren't any leaks. Once it was all put together everything went back to normal.

Hey thanks for those videos. I will have to watch these. Did you unplug the negative battery before unplugging the connections? Nvm just watched the video. It said to do the batttery. Thank you.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Hey thanks for those videos. I will have to watch these. Did you unplug the negative battery before unplugging the connections? Nvm just watched the video. It said to do the batttery. Thank you.
Sure thing. Helped me a lot with little things that are easy to look over.

OP
W
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Thread Starter #13

I meant to ask you. I don't know if you're tuned or not? But if you weren't tuned when you installed that IC, did you notice any turbo lag at all? After the install or did it run just like before with the oem? Im sure you noticed on the pulls you said? I just read somewhere some people experienced it because the IC is a larger volume?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I meant to ask you. I don't know if you're tuned or not? But if you weren't tuned when you installed that IC, did you notice any turbo lag at all? After the install or did it run just like before with the oem? Im sure you noticed on the pulls you said? I just read somewhere some people experienced it because the IC is a larger volume?
FWIW, I never noticed turbo lag before installing the IC. Maybe it was there, I just never felt it. It is definitely noticeable now. Still very strong off the line, but puts you deeper in the seat once it gets fully spooled up.

OP
W
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Thread Starter #15
That's a
FWIW, I never noticed turbo lag before installing the IC. Maybe it was there, I just never felt it. It is definitely noticeable now. Still very strong off the line, but puts you deeper in the seat once it gets fully spooled up.
That's awesome. I'm excited. I will see if I can notice any difference. I'm going to drive it a few days before the tune is on.