Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Intercooler Lag ?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Hello all, I have a 2022 ST that I have added a CVF intercooler to. My question is has anyone else installed this item without a Tune ? I feel it almost makes a large delay to the turbos before the 3.0 really gets going ? I was waiting for a tune but would like to hear any input from you all !
Thanks !

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Correct me if Im wrong, I wouldn't think this intercooler would effects turbo lag. It is just sending cooling the air go in in the turbos, not providing the air.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
A larger intercooler does have a greater volume. At least one of them advertised around 2.5 times more volume than the stocker. So of course it will take slightly longer to pressurize under boost if there isn't pressure there already. Very hard to say what the "lag" would be.

Reactions
Hello all, I have a 2022 ST that I have added a CVF intercooler to. My question is has anyone else installed this item without a Tune ? I feel it almost makes a large delay to the turbos before the 3.0 really gets going ? I was waiting for a tune but would like to hear any input from you all !
Thanks !
What TMac said, more volume. I had my whipple IC on for a few months before I got a tune. At first I noticed the lag was more noticeable over stock. Wrote it off as a volume thing. After the tune not much difference in the lag. If I'm in normal mode and try a rapid rolling start from low RPMs definitely feel the lag but if the Rs are up around 2K turbos are spooling up and you're good to go.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
After installing the Whipple in mine I noticed a little more lag also, but after installing the FRP Tune there is almost no lag and the throttle response is a lot better than stock. It's no ZFG but it's perfect for what I use it for.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Matlybe it is the transmission downshifting? There definitly is a lot of lag there.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer st
I had Livernois install there prototype intercooler, Borla cat back and E35 tune and there is noticeable turbo lag over stock - just make sure its in boost before launch

OP
M
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
After installing the Whipple in mine I noticed a little more lag also, but after installing the FRP Tune there is almost no lag and the throttle response is a lot better than stock. It's no ZFG but it's perfect for what I use it for.
Thanks for the input ..

OP
M
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
What TMac said, more volume. I had my whipple IC on for a few months before I got a tune. At first I noticed the lag was more noticeable over stock. Wrote it off as a volume thing. After the tune not much difference in the lag. If I'm in normal mode and try a rapid rolling start from low RPMs definitely feel the lag but if the Rs are up around 2K turbos are spooling up and you're good to go.
I guess Ford engineers have the stock intercooler sized correctly for the response time, At least I know I'm not going crazy by noticing a difference ! Thanks

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I honestly did not notice any difference in lag when I installed my whipple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk