Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Intercooler foam inserts

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Noticed some people trim the foam inserts on the after market Intercooler they install and some people remove them. Is it necessary to keep them on or is it safe to remove them? Thanks.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The what?

OP
LuxST
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
These. I’m not sure what to call them

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
I opted to trim mine. I'm sure someone smarter than me on here can tell you what, if anything, they are invented for.

Reactions
Vehicle
2x 2023 Explorer STs
I believe they are there to help control airflow through vs around the radiator. Im not sure how much impact removing them would have, especially if you are adding cooling anyways.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Trim them if needed, but keep them. You want to keep the radiator stack as sealed as possible to force airflow through all of the cores, not give it a place to go around.

OP
LuxST
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Trim them if needed, but keep them. You want to keep the radiator stack as sealed as possible to force airflow through all of the cores, not give it a place to go around.
Good deal. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
x2 on UNBROKEN. It depends more on what Intercooler you go with. Some fit easier than others. I have the Mishimoto and didn't have to trim anything. I know the whipple usually needs some trimming.