Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Interceptor brake lights

T5ewell

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
I’ve been searching around looking for a module to make my brake lights flicker 1 or 2 times quick before going solid like the interceptors do, not sure if anyones attempted this before but I’ve always loved the little flash they do

Nick 48

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
did you ever find out how to do this?

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I’ve been searching around looking for a module to make my brake lights flicker 1 or 2 times quick before going solid like the interceptors do, not sure if anyones attempted this before but I’ve always loved the little flash they do
That isn't an OEM feature if you have seen it on a PIU its an aftermarket add on.

My understanding from the Police Program Ford Engineers is that FMVSS rules dont allow Ford to sell it with that feature.

I will make some inquiries

Reactions
It might be available as a FORSCAN mod.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
So I made some inquiries and I was incorrect, the rapid flash rear brake light functionality is offered by the OEM.

This functionality would be programmed into the controller and the the PIU would be the arbitrator of the lighting functionality.

So perhaps the ForScan suggestion was appropriate.

This feature only meets FMVSS when the vehicle's regular OEM functionality is programmed to override the feature.

Apparently some of the aftermarket modules don't allow the vehicles OEM functionality to be primarily so they actually violate FMVSS

You learn something new everyday!