Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Intelligent AWD & Tire Tread Depth Concern

Gloxin

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Hello forum, I have somewhat of a concern with a purchase that I am about to make at my Ford dealership. I want to buy a 2020 Explorer ST with the Street Pack which comes with 21" wheels and I noticed on the 150 Point Inpection sheet it shows the current tire tread depth which is 7/32 for the rear and 10/32 for the front. They are all 4 Pirelli Scorpion Zero 110V M+S 275/45 R21 tires and when I asked them why do the front have different depths then the rear their response was that the two in the front are new and the rear still have more than 50% left. So now my question is: can my Drivetrain System get damaged if I drive it like this ? I know that the ST is now RWD Bias which only turns AWD when necessary but still, should I ask them to put two matching new ones in the back or is it not that big of a deal ? What do you guys think ?

I have attached an image to this post showing the Front and Rear tread depths of these tires:
382A55E2-B690-434F-88F3-C7D492E9EE99.jpeg

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It’ll be fine with full tread up front and bald rear tires. The stock tires aren’t 12/32 deep anyway.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
All so means owner was lazy and didn’t rotate tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Gloxin

Gloxin

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
It’ll be fine with full tread up front and bald rear tires. The stock tires aren’t 12/32 deep anyway.
You are correct, even though they put on the inspection sheet 12/32, the actual depth of new ones are 10/32.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
You won't have any issues. I would ask the dealer to rotate the tires as the rear tires wear out quicker than the front ones.

Explorer ST Posts