Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Install Rear Camera Washer

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I decided to tackle the rear camera washer project today. This isn't going to be a detailed instructions down to the nut and bolt, but hopefully the pictures will help with that.

It's 4 parts:
LB5Z-17603-G - $9.60
LB5Z-17A605-AC - $13.79
LB5Z-17A605-E - $13.18
LB5Z-17A605-W - $16.59

Start by removing the plastic from the inside of the lift gate. Next you'll have to remove the spoiler. In my opinion, this was the worst part. There's three bolts, and about 8 clips.

IMG_2167.jpg
You have to remove the pinch sensor and move it aside, then you can release the circled clip for the lower part of the spoiler.
IMG_2165.jpg
This is the Y tube that you'll replace the stock one with as shown below.
IMG_2166.jpg
The tube clipped into the brake light mount will connect to the next tube below.
IMG_2163.jpg
The clips were already in place on the existing harness, so just line those up and snap it in. The tube was facing the wrong direction initially, I just had to spin it around and it connected right up. Didn't take A pic of this tubes package. It part number is LB5Z-17A605-W.
IMG_2162.jpg
IMG_2161.jpg
Next you'll remove the rear trim with the camera. There's six bolts on the outside of the vehicle with a handful of clips. It's a little easier to release the clips from inside the lift gate. Not much easier. lol
IMG_2153.jpg
Behind the trim, you'll see a blank plug. Pull that out and you'll install the next hose.

IMG_2152.jpg
IMG_2159.jpg
IMG_2160.jpg
Connect that to the tube inside. I forgot to take a picture of that part, but it's fairly self-explanatory.
Next you'll remove the camera from the rear trim to install the sprayer nozzle.
IMG_2155.jpg
IMG_2154.jpg
IMG_2157.jpg
Just pay attention to how the nozzle blank insert comes off and put the nozzle on the same way. Be careful with the connectors.Connect up that tube and put the trim back on, and that's it. Hopefully I covered everything.

Attachments

Taxgod4u

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Exploder-ST
Thanks for he photos and part numbers!

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Wow, nice write-up. Pardon the naivete...did your '23 not have this or was it a 'shortage' issue that you're fixing?

OP
I

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Wow, nice write-up. Pardon the naivete...did your '23 not have this or was it a 'shortage' issue that you're fixing?
My 2023 ST, and all others lost this "feature".

Taxgod4u

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Exploder-ST
Not on my '23 either

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I'm pretty sure my 22 doesn't have it. Does it spray when using the rear window washer?

OP
I

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
It might have been a mid-year change for the '22s. I don't remember for sure. Yes, it sprays with the rear washer.
I'm pretty sure my 22 doesn't have it. Does it spray when using the rear window washer?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Anybody added the front camera washer after the delete?

OP
I

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
Anybody added the front camera washer after the delete?
I did it right after this one. There's a thread already out there.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
At this point someone has figured out the rear camera washer, the front washer, hands free liftgate, rear climate controls, and the front climate control display. The only other option that was deleted because of the chip shortage that hasn't been figured out is the massage seats, and that is going to be the expensive one.

Dram789

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
Damn, I didn’t know they lost this feature in the recent years. My 2020 st has front and rear

RTM

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
When I tried to do it in my 22 ST, purchased May 2022, it wouldn't work even though the wiper went back and forth a few times. After researching more on here, it turns out the car has to be in reverse. Once in reverse, the washer fluid flows.. Who would think it needed to be in reverse? It should work in park...

Last edited:
OP
I

i8iridium

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #13
It works in any gear. It takes a loooong time to prime the system. After that, it shouldn't take quite as long because there's several check valves in the line to keep the fluid primed.

wessideg

Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Explorer XLT
I decided to tackle the rear camera washer project today. This isn't going to be a detailed instructions down to the nut and bolt, but hopefully the pictures will help with that.

It's 4 parts:
LB5Z-17603-G - $9.60
LB5Z-17A605-AC - $13.79
LB5Z-17A605-E - $13.18
LB5Z-17A605-W - $16.59

Start by removing the plastic from the inside of the lift gate. Next you'll have to remove the spoiler. In my opinion, this was the worst part. There's three bolts, and about 8 clips.

View attachment 17274
You have to remove the pinch sensor and move it aside, then you can release the circled clip for the lower part of the spoiler.
View attachment 17275
This is the Y tube that you'll replace the stock one with as shown below.
View attachment 17276
The tube clipped into the brake light mount will connect to the next tube below.
View attachment 17277
The clips were already in place on the existing harness, so just line those up and snap it in. The tube was facing the wrong direction initially, I just had to spin it around and it connected right up. Didn't take A pic of this tubes package. It part number is LB5Z-17A605-W.
View attachment 17278
View attachment 17279
Next you'll remove the rear trim with the camera. There's six bolts on the outside of the vehicle with a handful of clips. It's a little easier to release the clips from inside the lift gate. Not much easier. lol
View attachment 17280
Behind the trim, you'll see a blank plug. Pull that out and you'll install the next hose.

View attachment 17282
View attachment 17283
View attachment 17284
Connect that to the tube inside. I forgot to take a picture of that part, but it's fairly self-explanatory.
Next you'll remove the camera from the rear trim to install the sprayer nozzle.
View attachment 17285
View attachment 17286
View attachment 17287
Just pay attention to how the nozzle blank insert comes off and put the nozzle on the same way. Be careful with the connectors.Connect up that tube and put the trim back on, and that's it. Hopefully I covered everything.
Thanks so much! I missed this feature in my 2024, using oem components will make me feel a bit less guilty about hacking into the plumbing

Silent Hit

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
At this point someone has figured out the rear camera washer, the front washer, hands free liftgate, rear climate controls, and the front climate control display. The only other option that was deleted because of the chip shortage that hasn't been figured out is the massage seats, and that is going to be the expensive one.
Actually they deleted the Wi-Fi Hotspot on the '23 ST as well, they give you a $20 credit, modem and everything still there just not the router. The dealerships do not even have a part listed to replace it. I have been thinking of pulling one from a previous year but would not know how you would get it activated with ATT as they go by the vehicle VIN to activate it. I miss that in my '22 because it was unlimited for only $200 per year! If anyone has figured this out let us know. I have installed a Netgear Pro M6 with an antenna in my car with ATT, they offer true unlimited at 50Mbps at $90/month under a business plan. If you need it that is an option, if you use your phone hotspot you burn through your allotment quickly and they slow you down.