Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

If you use the pinch welds to jack where do you place the stands?

Reactions
As the title states, I need to get under the front of car and want to have it supported with a couple of stands. But my question is if I’m going to use the pinch welds up front where would I support the car with a stand on the same side?

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
You can do both:

Jack.PNG

20220201_115008.jpg

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
However, with that said, I found the best method is to put the jack just inboard of the pinchweld, but up against it. The structure there is almost 1/4in thick. You can find the thick part by poking a finger through one of the holes down there.

Edit: Don't bother buying the rubber pinch weld pad that is offered with that jack... It will get cut clean in half pretty damn quick. I returned both pieces for a refund.

Last edited:

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I put stands under the actual front subframe if I jack at the specified pinch jack points. Sometimes I jack if from the subframe and put stands under the pinch jack points.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I just swing the pads of my 2-post lift under and push the button.

Sorry couldn't resist. Many times on other vehicles I have struggled to place the jack so I can lift and still get a stand properly positioned.

OP
spidereddie
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
I put stands under the actual front subframe if I jack at the specified pinch jack points. Sometimes I jack if from the subframe and put stands under the pinch jack points.
That’s what I did !

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I just swing the pads of my 2-post lift under and push the button.

Sorry couldn't resist. Many times on other vehicles I have struggled to place the jack so I can lift and still get a stand properly positioned.
LOL! On my F350 CC LB dually I'd just lay on the creeper & roll under the truck, actually dozed off under there a couple of times

OP
spidereddie
Reactions
Thread Starter #8

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
LOL! On my F350 CC LB dually I'd just lay on the creeper & roll under the truck, actually dozed off under there a couple of times
Yeah HUGE difference from my 2500HD. I struggled just to crawl under to confirm I only had one bolt subframe!

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Those look convenient. Do you get enough lift with them? The other bottle jacks I’ve used don’t raise the truck enough to get the tire off the ground
With the pin in the 4th or 5th hole:

20220201_113243.jpg

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I'm going to get a second one. If you lift one end as shown in the pic above, it will raise the other end enough to get the pin in a lower hole & then you can get that wheel 4in or more off the ground with a second jack..

OP
spidereddie
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
I'm going to get a second one. If you lift one end as shown in the pic above, it will raise the other end enough to get the pin in a lower hole & then you can get that wheel 4in or more off the ground with a second jack..
That's awesome. Would make quick work of lifting and supporting for those of us without the nice toys like Cruising68 has ;)

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
That's awesome. Would make quick work of lifting and supporting for those of us without the nice toys like Cruising68 has ;)
I still get to play with jack stands at home. My business is about 45 minutes away so for quick simple stuff I will still jack at home if necessary.. Anything significant and I drive to the office for the lift.

I did buy a QuickJack for our vacation place for a 66 Mustang and that thing is really nice for the money too. The older I get the less I enjoy crawling under my vehicles. Then again I don't think I have ever enjoyed crawling under a car to work. Remembering my youth I am amazed how necessity was the mother of invention when you have no money.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I still get to play with jack stands at home. My business is about 45 minutes away so for quick simple stuff I will still jack at home if necessary.. Anything significant and I drive to the office for the lift.

I did buy a QuickJack for our vacation place for a 66 Mustang and that thing is really nice for the money too. The older I get the less I enjoy crawling under my vehicles. Then again I don't think I have ever enjoyed crawling under a car to work. Remembering my youth I am amazed how necessity was the mother of invention when you have no money.
That is for sure! I remember working in my dad's gravel driveway when I was about 17 putting headers and exhaust on my car. I used a normal jack, concrete blocks and some 2x4s to support the front about a foot. You had to install the headers from underneath the vehicle and tilt them to fit. I had to use a small spade to dig another 8" or so in the dirt to get them in place. A 30 minute job on a lift- I think about 6 hours in the driveway!

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Planning my first tire rotation on the ST and considering one of these UniJacks... but if I'm understanding correctly, you still need a second jack to jack up the vehicle enough to get the UniJack under it with it's jack stand extended to the 4th hole... so that THEN you can use the bottle jack on the UniJack to lift the vehicle the rest of the way. Is that what you guys are doing?

According to Amazon, the piston on the UniJack only provides 5" of lift travel from wherever you initially have the jack arm set... not enough to get the wheels off the ground on an ST using this jack alone. Or am I missing something? Can you jack the tires off the ground using only a 2 ton UniJack?