Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

I need to reduce the DRONE

Fade2black

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
+1 for thermal also. Zero drone in cab

NYPigskin

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
The Exploder that I've been in with a Borla ATAK had a noticeable drone. It had enough that I wouldn't consider running it. It was plenty loud and some may like that, but it had a drone running down the freeway.

Then again, I'm sure it would allow you to keep your factory warranty intact. ;)

For anyone who isn't following these threads, please don't take me seriously on that last comment.

Last edited:

NYPigskin

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
The Thermal R&D Performance 2.5 down pipe back system has no drone. It does have an awesome pisst off growl when you get on it but can be tamed by Eco/Wife mode and restraint. Um, restraint, thats the hard part. The 3" system is another story. No drone but loud all the time. Depends on what you want.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Maybe contact MBRP for a solution? Otherwise, here's an article that might help you:
https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/what-is-exhaust-drone

If I ever get an exhaust, I'd have to go with BORLA as they're the only manufacturer who absolutely guarantees no drone:
https://www.borla.com/2020-2022-ford-explorer-exhaust-systems/
I had a 2013 charger R/T before this car and I had a Borla s-type on it for two weeks before removing it and putting the stock exhaust back on and just eating the cost because the drone was so bad. To be fair the drone was migraine inducing only when it was in “eco” mode which was the car’s MDS (cylinder deactivation) feature, which was pretty much 95+% of the time, either cruising or ever so slightly accelerating. It was awful. It also made the car much slower, I think because I went from 2.5in to 3in exhaust so the backpressure was not optimal for the output it had. I learned a lot. It pretty much ruined Borla for me but I’m still decently confident that any car without the cylinder deactivation feature wouldn’t have had that bad of drone.

Explorer ST Posts