Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

I installed a dash cam today and used the cigarette lighter ( fwd storage box) 12V is always on. What the heck?

Reactions
Installed the new dash cam today and used the plug for the cigarette lighter in the Ford storage box area. So as it turns out, it stayed on all night long. I thought these went to sleep after 15 minutes of leaving the vehicle and arming it. My Mustang does that, I didn’t have enough cable to get to console. I was hoping it would come on and off with the key like it’s supposed to.
Has anybody experienced this? I’m wondering what options I have and what should do?

I could cut and splice another section of the cable to extend it or I could try to locate the power cables or by removing the center console. I’m wondering if I could just simply plug-in and change the setting using the software?
Have you come across this 12v always on and what did you do? 2020 ST

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Mirror tap.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That's unusual. Pretty sure my cig lighter powers off.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST 401A Pkg White Met Tri-Coat
Stole the dash cam and use the plug for the cigarette lighter do?
Shouldn’t have stole it!

If cam has low voltage cut off or 24hr monitoring mode, might be ok. Otherwise, wire tap like someone mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

balkda2

Reactions
you can change the shut off timer with forescan. That is what I did a few years ago. Now it shuts off in 15 seconds.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Pretty sure it times out after like 20 min. I have LED lights connected via the 12v plug and they stay on for about 15-20 min after the car is off. But they do eventually turn off.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
If OP is not the original owner, maybe someone used Forscan to keep the cig lighter active indefinitely.

edog

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
If OP is not the original owner, maybe someone used Forscan to keep the cig lighter active indefinitely.
Can Forscan be used to keep the cig lighter port hot all the time? I would like to install a solar charger to keep the battery charged.