Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

I found the plastic fuel funnel... but

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Was giving the ST a good detailing yesterday & had the cover off the spare wheel well. Found the white plastic funnel hidden behind the wheel. Then I noticed there's a spot for something else to be stored on the right side. What's missing?

& why the hell won't a regular narrow funnel fit in the filler neck? Does it have to be an exact diameter to activate some sort of lock out doodad?

hbalek

Reactions
Was giving the ST a good detailing yesterday & had the cover off the spare wheel well. Found the white plastic funnel hidden behind the wheel. Then I noticed there's a spot for something else to be stored on the right side. What's missing?

& why the hell won't a regular narrow funnel fit in the filler neck? Does it have to be an exact diameter to activate some sort of lock out doodad?
All Fords with the EasyFuel capless fueling system have used that funnel for about the last 15 years. If you don't use that funnel most of the gas or whatever you're adding will spill out. The missing piece is the tow hook which my dealer provided me with but apparently Explorers built after the first part of 2019 no longer have the place in the bumper where the hook attaches to. That's what that cutout in the front bumper was/is for. A few members on here like myself got the hook and air deflector under the spare tire provided by the dealer. My dealer even installed the air deflector for free. Some on here even removed the cover on the bumper to find that the threaded attachement point is not there. I haven't had any interest in finding out but I still keep the towing eye next to my fuel funnel just in case of emergencies.

1655446876073.png
1655446963049.png

I've also included a sort of before and after the air deflector was installed. There was a long discussion on here when someone discovered all these missing parts and most dealers like mine went out of their way to satisfy the customers who complained about the missing parts.Some also didn't have the plastic funnel.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Looks like on the 2022 model, they just cast where the front towing eye attachment cover is on the front bumper but it is no longer a removable piece. The cover is no longer even cast into the rear bumper cover. Not sure if this is a change only in the 2022 model year or if it also occurred in the 2021 and 2020 model years.

As for the plastic filler. There are two metal tabs on opposite sides of the filler neck that must be depressed in order for the cover plate to swing down. The Ford issued plastic mimics the gas pump filler and depresses those tabs. As you found out, the narrow funnels you buy in the store don’t work. You can, in situations where you either don’t have the Ford funnel or can’t get to the spare tire well to get it (I’ve had both things happen), use a store bought funnel and a small screwdriver or similar item to depress both of those tabs using the funnel on one side and the screwdriver on the other to depress the tabs and gain access to the filler neck.

Alternatively, I just went to Ford and bought another filler from them and put it in the glove box or other more readily accessible location in the vehicle. :)

Catch22

Reactions
A
All Fords with the EasyFuel capless fueling system have used that funnel for about the last 15 years. If you don't use that funnel most of the gas or whatever you're adding will spill out. The missing piece is the tow hook which my dealer provided me with but apparently Explorers built after the first part of 2019 no longer have the place in the bumper where the hook attaches to. That's what that cutout in the front bumper was/is for. A few members on here like myself got the hook and air deflector under the spare tire provided by the dealer. My dealer even installed the air deflector for free. Some on here even removed the cover on the bumper to find that the threaded attachement point is not there. I haven't had any interest in finding out but I still keep the towing eye next to my fuel funnel just in case of emergencies.

I've also included a sort of before and after the air deflector was installed. There was a long discussion on here when someone discovered all these missing parts and most dealers like mine went out of their way to satisfy the customers who complained about the missing parts.Some also didn't have the plastic funnel.

A bit confused, I bought mine used with out a manual, and have never filled up with a funnel. And I can pump gas with 0 problems. Do you have a problems when you pump with out the Funnel? Thanks just was curious!

hbalek

Reactions
A

A bit confused, I bought mine used with out a manual, and have never filled up with a funnel. And I can pump gas with 0 problems. Do you have a problems when you pump with out the Funnel? Thanks just was curious!
It's for if you run out of gas and need to use a gas can or if you want to add gas treatment in a bottle. The pump nozzle doesn't need the plastic funnel. I guess you've never owned a Ford with EasyFuel capless fuel tank. This is my third Ford with it.

Catch22

Reactions
Silly me, that makes much for sense. Thank you.