Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

I do not want to be the one to test.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
This may have been discussed before but I could not find anything. Has anyone accidently confused the transmission selector with the drive mode selector while driving at cruising speed? I can see how this could be an honest mistake and curious if the thing is smart enough not to get slammed into reverse or park while flying down the highway.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
No the car will not do that. The computers won’t allow it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I have done it twice when driving on the freeway. Thought I was changing drive mode.

Dash pop up with a warning message but nothing changed.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I'm guilty as well. Just a warning message as mentioned above.

Reactions
Thanks for asking. I was wondering too.

Reactions
One benefit to the funky shifter that no longer has a physical connection to the transmission - the electronics step in and protect us from our mistakes lol.

Doesn’t stop you from accidentally throwing it into park instead of reverse when you’re going to back into a parking space or doing a 3 point turn or something similar…made that mistake a few times in the early days…let’s just say it’s an abrupt halt lol