Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

HPFP W/O Injectors?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer St
Is there any point in installing a HPFP without injectors. I've had it laying around for sometime waiting to get injectors before I install and tune all at once. But I am getting impatient with stock power. Obviously stock to tune will be a great improvement but would I get any additional benefits from installing the HPFP with the tune vs just tuning? I understand that the stock injectors would be limiting flow but not sure if more pressure behind them would help/hurt/do nothing. I was planning on installing IC, Injectors, pump all at once, once the front bumper is off to give me a little more reach/room to work. Thoughts?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The only reason an aftermarket fuel pump will add HP is if your power is limited by fueling- which requires larger injectors and the extra volume of the new pump. Unless you're planning to run high percentages of ethanol a pump and injectors is not necessary. If the aftermarket pump can support higher pressure, then you can increase injector flow rate, but it's not a lot- assuming you have the old flow rate in cc/min and the before and after pressures, flow can be calculated:

sqrt(new_pressure/old_pressure) * old_flow_rate = new_flow_rate

OP
E
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer St
Thread Starter #3
The only reason an aftermarket fuel pump will add HP is if your power is limited by fueling- which requires larger injectors and the extra volume of the new pump. Unless you're planning to run high percentages of ethanol a pump and injectors is not necessary. If the aftermarket pump can support higher pressure, then you can increase injector flow rate, but it's not a lot- assuming you have the old flow rate in cc/min and the before and after pressures, flow can be calculated:

sqrt(new_pressure/old_pressure) * old_flow_rate = new_flow_rate
I do plan on running as much ethanol as possible. Whether or not thats full e85 after injectors or some mix. So I see you're saying there will be minimal notices with the pump due to the flow rate of the stock injectors. Looks like i have some math to do. On a side note I saw on the FB group the other day an individual with stage 2 fuel system and crp5 turbos and full bolt ons post some pretty (relatively) unimpressive dragy times. It wasnt much faster than Tyler Clarks stock fuel system stock turbos setup both of them tuned by Adam both stock trans. The post has since been deleted but it seems to me that the high mid 11's he reached seemed slow for the amount of upgrades. (I believe you had commented on that post too). I was under the impression that stage2 fuel system on e85 should be higher hp than e50 on stock fuel system, however many people commented saying he should reduce the Ethanol content, why is that?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I do plan on running as much ethanol as possible. Whether or not thats full e85 after injectors or some mix. So I see you're saying there will be minimal notices with the pump due to the flow rate of the stock injectors. Looks like i have some math to do. On a side note I saw on the FB group the other day an individual with stage 2 fuel system and crp5 turbos and full bolt ons post some pretty (relatively) unimpressive dragy times. It wasnt much faster than Tyler Clarks stock fuel system stock turbos setup both of them tuned by Adam both stock trans. The post has since been deleted but it seems to me that the high mid 11's he reached seemed slow for the amount of upgrades. (I believe you had commented on that post too). I was under the impression that stage2 fuel system on e85 should be higher hp than e50 on stock fuel system, however many people commented saying he should reduce the Ethanol content, why is that?
That car was dialed back because Adam could see trans slip on the data logs. The owner said he asked for everything possible and would build the trans when it broke.

OP
E
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer St
Thread Starter #5
That car was dialed back because Adam could see trans slip on the data logs. The owner said he asked for everything possible and would build the trans when it broke.
I see now, that makes much more sense. I appreciate the response I didn't see that before the post got hidden. I did just get a quote from RSA last week very tempting to get that out of the way first but then again might just wait for it to go once I get it back from Ford.

Explorer ST Posts