Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

How-To: Swap Bench 2nd row to Captains Chairs with Console

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I checked ford accessories and the 16-19 console with white stitching is no longer available. The have with red for 425 and black for 550

BradLucky

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
@bguild I have to thank you for your amazing write-up! You gave me the confidence to purchase a 2021 that just came off lease, even though it had captain's chairs when I needed a bench seat. To your point, I can confirm that swapping captain's chairs for the bench seat does work!

The downside - I just discovered - is that I got the bench from a 2020 XLT, which does not have the powered fold-down feature. In and of itself, I'm not too bothered by that, but, it lacks the wiring harness and control unit that provides power to the rear-folding seats. I did not realize this while I swapped all the seats, and now my 3rd row is stuck in the flat-down position.

So, I'm going to have to get the harnesses reconnected so I can put the 3rd row upright. And then, I need to decide how to proceed. I'll either remove the unit from my captain's chairs, or find what I need from a junkyard for a reasonable price. (I plan to put the captain's chairs back in someday when my kids have grown up enough that I don't need 7 seats.

I did manage to get the seats for only $213, so I can't complain about the cost. And the work only took me a few hours today.

hbalek

Reactions
@bguild I have to thank you for your amazing write-up! You gave me the confidence to purchase a 2021 that just came off lease, even though it had captain's chairs when I needed a bench seat. To your point, I can confirm that swapping captain's chairs for the bench seat does work!

The downside - I just discovered - is that I got the bench from a 2020 XLT, which does not have the powered fold-down feature. In and of itself, I'm not too bothered by that, but, it lacks the wiring harness and control unit that provides power to the rear-folding seats. I did not realize this while I swapped all the seats, and now my 3rd row is stuck in the flat-down position.

So, I'm going to have to get the harnesses reconnected so I can put the 3rd row upright. And then, I need to decide how to proceed. I'll either remove the unit from my captain's chairs, or find what I need from a junkyard for a reasonable price. (I plan to put the captain's chairs back in someday when my kids have grown up enough that I don't need 7 seats.

I did manage to get the seats for only $213, so I can't complain about the cost. And the work only took me a few hours today.
Doesn't the XLT seat look different as far as the leather material and contrast stitching compared to the ST's?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Doesn't the XLT seat look different as far as the leather material and contrast stitching compared to the ST's?
Yes. Very different.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Nice write-up! Curious if the original bench had heated seats or not? Did you gain/lose this with the change over? Either way you did a hell of a job.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Nice write-up! Curious if the original bench had heated seats or not? Did you gain/lose this with the change over? Either way you did a hell of a job.
XLT does not have heated seats. ST comes standard with them. You would lose it.

Reactions
XLT does not have heated seats. ST comes standard with them. You would lose it.
I think his question was to OP's original bench seat, which they do come heated if equipped properly. Only the side one's not the middle one.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
I think his question was to OP's original bench seat, which they do come heated if equipped properly. Only the side one's not the middle one.
Yes that is why I said STs come standard with them. He had them originally.

Reactions
Yes that is why I said STs come standard with them. He had them originally.
Yes and no, depends on the year, they were standard in 20 but became an option after for 21+

Not sure what year is OP's nor what options he had.

Nabuei

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer
Question -- on 2022 Ford Explorer, can i purchase a used 2nd row center like this one u had (image attached) and squeeze it in between the 2 existing Captain chairs (with arm rests)?

I don't mind removing the arm rests -- just wanted to know if it's possible?

Thank you.

Attachments

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Confused on what you are asking. Center console or center chair?

cjhesse

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer
Any suggestions where to find a 763kohm resistor?

Explorer ST Posts