Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

How to get outside air in?

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I can't for the life of me figure out how to get outside air to flow in through the climate controls (in the old days there was an outside vent selection.) Windows and roof vent are an option but would like to just have fresh air without opening up. Thanks

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Make sure the light is not on for this button and it will use outside air.

1680291218571.png

Last edited:
OP
JCR ST
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Thanks, so if I turn off A/C button, confirm recirc is off and auto has at least one light, it should be just outside air?

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thanks, so if I turn off A/C button, confirm recirc is off and auto has at least one light, it should be just outside air?
It will use a combination of inside and outside air if the recirculation light is off. I don't think it is just all outside air.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
My previous cx5, now wife’s, all I had to till was do the tilt sunroof option and so much air would be pumped in through the vents. Even with all the hvac settings off. Not sure why but it was great! Explorer doesn’t do that unfortunately.

SmittysST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 FORD Explorer ST
Don't mean to hack here but does anyone have issues with the recirculating button turning off after a short certain amount of time? It is my understanding that if you want interior / recirculated air you have the light on. I do this when driving in cow country and don't want that lovely smell inside. Mine tends to turn off on its own......

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Don't mean to hack here but does anyone have issues with the recirculating button turning off after a short certain amount of time? It is my understanding that if you want interior / recirculated air you have the light on. I do this when driving in cow country and don't want that lovely smell inside. Mine tends to turn off on its own......
Correct, it will only stay in recirc mode for a limited time. The rear defrost also turns off after a few minutes.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Screenshot_20230403_055125_Chrome.jpg

SmittysST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 FORD Explorer ST
Thank you CajunHeat!!! First vehicle that does this, makes sense regarding stale air but when i don't want to smell the fumes from others in traffic or the cows out in the sticks this option sux!!! Just yeaterday I did notice the front window start fog up then out of no where it would clear up.... This new ST is taking some getting use to with all the electronic controls it has.....

On the side does anyone else feel that these AC seats are useless? The AC seats in my truck work like a champ, nice and cold. These ones on the ST I can barely tell and its been like in the 60s and low 70s, I cant wait till I really want them to work out in AZ...

OP
JCR ST
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
...On the side does anyone else feel that these AC seats are useless? The AC seats in my truck work like a champ, nice and cold. These ones on the ST I can barely tell and its been like in the 60s and low 70s, I cant wait till I really want them to work out in AZ...
Mine work OK (I can tell they are on) but not as good as my F-350.

R2D2

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I have the same question. I just want the outside air come inside, while the vehicle is in motion, Without touching anything on the HVAC controls.

Somehow I'm not able to figure out a way to do it in the explorer. In all my older cars, this was easy. Just don't press anything and keep the recirculation off.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thank you CajunHeat!!! First vehicle that does this, makes sense regarding stale air but when i don't want to smell the fumes from others in traffic or the cows out in the sticks this option sux!!! Just yeaterday I did notice the front window start fog up then out of no where it would clear up.... This new ST is taking some getting use to with all the electronic controls it has.....

On the side does anyone else feel that these AC seats are useless? The AC seats in my truck work like a champ, nice and cold. These ones on the ST I can barely tell and its been like in the 60s and low 70s, I cant wait till I really want them to work out in AZ...
Hey Smitty. The seats actually pull air verses push through. Probably why it doesn't feal as good. Check this out.

4. Cool New Ventilation Feature
Comfort is not just about the right level of softness — it’s also about being at the right temperature. Rather than pushing cold air through seat perforations like older models, Ford says the new seats will draw warm air away from your body, cooling you down more naturally.
https://www.cars.com/articles/u-mad...plorers-seats-wont-leave-you-butthurt-403707/

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Silver Spruce Explorer ST
I have the same question. I just want the outside air come inside, while the vehicle is in motion, Without touching anything on the HVAC controls...
Simple, open a window. ;)

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I was going to say that. But, if you really want fresh air stay out of New Jersey.

SmittysST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 FORD Explorer ST
Hey Smitty. The seats actually pull air verses push through. Probably why it doesn't feal as good. Check this out.

4. Cool New Ventilation Feature
Comfort is not just about the right level of softness — it’s also about being at the right temperature. Rather than pushing cold air through seat perforations like older models, Ford says the new seats will draw warm air away from your body, cooling you down more naturally.
https://www.cars.com/articles/u-mad...plorers-seats-wont-leave-you-butthurt-403707/
Okay now that explains a lot! thx! Now I wonder where it takes that air? Are you telling me its like a fart fan, pull that air out to the open air? Nice!!!!

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Okay now that explains a lot! thx! Now I wonder where it takes that air? Are you telling me its like a fart fan, pull that air out to the open air? Nice!!!!
Yep, fart fan. Pity the passenger behind the drivers seat.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST

Agreed on the vented seats. Had mine on yesterday and barley noticed them. Was only 80° yesterday. My SHO cooled seats work much better.