Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Hopeful new owner with a few quick questions...

Reactions
Hey guys/gals,

I'm on the hunt for a 2020 Atlas Blue ST for my wife (and lets be honest... me too) and I want to make sure I have a few things straight as I narrow my search.

1) Am I correct that the larger vertically aligned center stack screen only comes with the premium tech package? The smaller horizontal screen is the "standard" one?

2) For anyone without the larger screen (PTP), do you have regrets about not getting it?

3) Is the only way to get the 360 degree camera with the PTP or did I just miss this feature in the ST I drove (it did not have PTP I do not believe... had smaller screen)?

4) Is the B&O stereo worth it?

5) I read something about "active motion" front seats with the PTP... what exactly is the difference? Does it have active bolsters? Are the seats all together different or just more heavily bolstered? The only ST I have driven so far did not have these seats.

6) Am I correct that the calipers on the Street Pack are still the standard ST calipers... just painted red? They aren't upgraded in any way in functionality/size?

Thanks in advance for any info/advice!

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
The standard calipers are not the same as the Street or Strip Pack. Those two are the same caliper but have different pads. Sound is so subjective. I’d say the B&O is worth it if you don’t plan on any audio upgrades. If you’re going to upgrade then probably not.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
See answers in red.

Hey guys/gals,

I'm on the hunt for a 2020 Atlas Blue ST for my wife (and lets be honest... me too) and I want to make sure I have a few things straight as I narrow my search.

1) Am I correct that the larger vertically aligned center stack screen only comes with the premium tech package? The smaller horizontal screen is the "standard" one?

Correct.

2) For anyone without the larger screen (PTP), do you have regrets about not getting it?

Not applicable to me. I'm glad I got it.

3) Is the only way to get the 360 degree camera with the PTP or did I just miss this feature in the ST I drove (it did not have PTP I do not believe... had smaller screen)?

Correct.

4) Is the B&O stereo worth it?

Yes. Not amazing but non-B&O system sucks.

5) I read something about "active motion" front seats with the PTP... what exactly is the difference? Does it have active bolsters? Are the seats all together different or just more heavily bolstered? The only ST I have driven so far did not have these seats.

Massaging/Heated/Cooling. No active bolstering.

6) Am I correct that the calipers on the Street Pack are still the standard ST calipers... just painted red? They aren't upgraded in any way in functionality/size?

Not correct. Street pack is lots of little upgrades (including stouter/bigger calipers and rotors) to entire brake system for increased power/fade resistance. Worth every dollar.

Thanks in advance for any info/advice!

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. That's good to know on the calipers. I was already wanting the Street Pack for the wheels but knowing the brakes are also upgraded, over just aesthetics, kind of seals the deal on that front. Neither my wife or I are audiophiles, so I don't know that not having the PTP with the B&O stereo will be a deal breaker but I'd still prefer to have it if possible. I don't care about massaging seats but I do want cooled seats... although I'm nearly certain the one I drove had that option but did not have PTP. Maybe I'm wrong about that though.

thholr

Reactions
my wife didnt like the look of the larger screen and how it sticks up from the dash so much. it actually makes the backup camera image smaller overall which stinks. I wish ford had done a better job with that. So she only wanted the regular screen which meant it was impossible to find the street pack. I did find the wheels though and replaced them for the same look. Didnt care about the massaging seats either. I kinda liked it, but she said the seats felt harder and not as comfortable. I couldnt tell a difference.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Well I am headed to Alabama this morning to pick up (assuming everything checks put) our "new" Atlas Blue 2020 ST with SP and PTP!

Reactions
It takes no time at all to get used to the larger screen. Having the SP is awesome.

Blackssr

Reactions
It takes no time at all to get used to the larger screen. Having the SP is awesome.
This is true.. at first it looked like somebody just stuck an iPod on the dashboard.. now I don't even notice it but love everything about the Explorer ST.
And this is from someone who gave the wife my Jeep Trackhawk.

Reactions
Nice ride! Enjoy it. Over all I think the bigger screen works for me...I don't really notice it and at first preferred the horizontal screen in the Aviator...now it's not even a factor. I'm not very tech savvy but it was very intuitive for me to use all the features. And I like the B&O stereo, not perfect but good enough at the right volume;)

Reactions
I've added my responses in the quoted message below.

EDIT: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand on a side note, I just realized after posting this that this is already several weeks old, so. Sorry to be tardy to the party. If I can get my hands on a Delorean, I will take this response back a few weeks and drop it off for you there.

1) Am I correct that the larger vertically aligned center stack screen only comes with the premium tech package? The smaller horizontal screen is the "standard" one? To the best of my knowledge, yes.

2) For anyone without the larger screen (PTP), do you have regrets about not getting it? No regrets. I hate the look of the vertical screen and the poor layout/usage they make of it for somethings. I did not want to look at it for 5-10 years, and I did not need massage seats so I was happy to save something like $1500.

3) Is the only way to get the 360 degree camera with the PTP or did I just miss this feature in the ST I drove (it did not have PTP I do not believe... had smaller screen)? I assume you're referring to the overhead view when you put the car into reverse, so that it shows you a simulated image of everything around your vehicle? No, I have that as well on my "standard" size screen.

4) Is the B&O stereo worth it? It's still a B&O stereo without the tech package, but it's a lower powered one, and everything I've read about both systems is that they are both underwhelming. Mine is the lower powered version of course and I agree it is nothing to write home about.

5) I read something about "active motion" front seats with the PTP... what exactly is the difference? Does it have active bolsters? Are the seats all together different or just more heavily bolstered? The only ST I have driven so far did not have these seats. Dunno. Nothing I've heard about and I don't have the PTP anyway.

6) Am I correct that the calipers on the Street Pack are still the standard ST calipers... just painted red? They aren't upgraded in any way in functionality/size? I think the street pack upgrades the brake pads, but the calipers are just painted. Not totally sure but someone else could confirm. They do look good with that touch of red behind the black rims, though. Part of why I went for them lol.

Last edited:

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Love the Atlas Blue.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
After driving it for 11 hours back home I have to say I'm immensely glad we got the PTP... the B&O stereo sounds phenomenal! I can't say the active motion seats were all that pleasurable for me but the seats do have fantastic lumbar support and adjustability. So far definitely pleased with it over all. My wife is also more excited about it than I've ever seen her about another vehicle so we're both very happy with the purchase.

Now I'm off to do some lower spring research and see if there are any tune options available that won't void the warranty (I doubt it). The springs are going to happen ASAP and we're also going to look into the cost of wrapping the top half black. A tune and any other possible power mods will likely wait for some time.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
My wife is also more excited about it than I've ever seen her about another vehicle so we're both very happy with the purchase.
Same here. My wife said she has liked her previous vehicles, but LOVES the new Explorer!