Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Hood safety latch

Reactions
Vehicle
2019 Ford Flex
Just curious do you all need to slam the hood to shut it. Since they deleted the safety lever at least on my 2022. Was going to install some hood struts, just worried the hood will not shut all the way? maybe I am over thinking this. So far thats the only quirk I noticed in a week :)

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
On my ‘21, dropping the hood from 3 or 4” always works.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
You'll need to give it a little shove with the hood struts installed.

OP
roxbury29
Reactions
Vehicle
2019 Ford Flex
Thread Starter #4
You'll need to give it a little shove with the hood struts installed.
Thanks, I know I seen one out there that doesn't require drilling. Was just concerned since they removed the lever.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thanks, I know I seen one out there that doesn't require drilling. Was just concerned since they removed the lever.
The "No-Drill" ones are MRT. I normally liked them, and used MRT on every one of my previous Mustangs. But I didn't hear good things about them on the Explorers. I haven't added struts yet, but most seem to like the Redline ones; they require drilling but seem to be a better fit for these Explorers.

OP
roxbury29
Reactions
Vehicle
2019 Ford Flex
Thread Starter #6
The "No-Drill" ones are MRT. I normally liked them, and used MRT on every one of my previous Mustangs. But I didn't hear good things about them on the Explorers. I haven't added struts yet, but most seem to like the Redline ones; they require drilling but seem to be a better fit for these Explorers.
Thanks I will check them both out. Still weird that the safety release in not under the hood. I would rather not drill, but if it works better I am ok with it!

Update; that was easy - If I get them it will be REDLINE. Thanks, seen some pretty bad reviews on the MRT ( bad fit and function )

Reactions
Thanks I will check them both out. Still weird that the safety release in not under the hood. I would rather not drill, but if it works better I am ok with it!

Update; that was easy - If I get them it will be REDLINE. Thanks, seen some pretty bad reviews on the MRT ( bad fit and function )
If I remember correctly the MRT also had you cut some of the under hood trim and/or cowl as well. I wasn't willing to do that since the Redline didn't require that. The install for the Redline ones is easy, just take time and measure a few times before drilling the holes would be my only advice.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
^ You remember correctly. I looked at both before I purchased and bought the Red Line's. Seemed to be the better set-up. I've quite liked mine, but I did have to shut it a few times to get that muscle memory down to get it closed. It isn't difficult at all just takes a dedicated shut.

Reactions
Thumbs up on Red Line’s. 20 minute install. By the way, this series explorer never had an under hood release. Our 20 didn’t have it nor does our 22. Jim

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Redlines here, on both Explorers, the Mustang and the Speed 3. I've become accustomed to the double-pull of the hood release. With the hood struts and no under-hood release, lifting the hood is one-handed.