Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Hit a pole, not sure what to do.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I hit a concrete pole that was in the middle of a parking lot of an abandoned business. I hit it just right to where my rear drivers door and rear quarter panel got hit and don’t want to go through insurance because I’ll get a dirty Carfax raise my rate, and still have to pay deductible. I went to a couple body shops and it’s about $2000 to fix it. Does anybody have any better ideas? They can save me a little bit of money? I know I can spend $2000 in a lot more fun ways than fixing a dent.

Attachments

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Nope. Pay the shop and get it fixed.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yeah just get it fixed. Costly mistake but it happens. I dropped a ladder on the back of my ST and put several dents in it. $1000 later and I was good as new.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Fix it right. $2k doesn't sound too bad. Two separate pieces to repair and paint.
What hurts more, to look at the damage or a sub par repair, or the hit your wallet? The answer to that question may guide you.

OP
Chakeen Machine
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Yea…. I just have to bit the bullet. You get what you pay for so even if I could save a few hundred dollars it might end up looking like shit a few years from now. A really high end body shop that fixes exotics, wanted six grand and most likely a supplement after that. The shop said that the aluminum quarter panel was really hard to fix and the entire panel needed to be replaced. The shop also mentioned that Geico doesn’t wanna pay them extra hourly rate for aluminum work. After I get it fixed, I’ll take some pictures and upload them on here. See what people think.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I can understand Geico not wanting to pay them extra for fixing the aluminum front fender/quarter, while the hood is aluminum the fenders and the doors are not. That still isn't to say that replacing the fender wouldn't be the best idea.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
If it were me, I'd honestly remove the wheel arch trim and try to get the sheet metal back to original position. With some bondo and touchup paint, it may not be too bad. This from someone who has over 4 years, 75k miles on his Explorer and has had some scuffs here or there... I don't expect mine to be a beauty queen, just fine to the the untrained eye.

OP
Chakeen Machine
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
Well, she’s repaired. It took about four days with the Shop. They did an amazing job, a little tiny bit of overspray that I was able to wipe off myself from the fuel filler door, but almost an even worth mentioning. The car still has some old wheel well trim left on it that really looks fine but it’s being replaced. The body shop was sent the wrong trim and instead of me keeping the car there for no reason I’m just gonna bring them back and have them put the new trim on whenever it comes in. $1800 bucks out the door. But at least now my Vin number is unblemished even more important. My insurance is still claimless.
I’ll throw a couple pics up so you can see it before and after. Once everything’s 100% cured I determine if he needs any color correction or anything further, which the shop is obviously gonna take care of.

Attachments

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Looks good. Glad you went the body shop route. It would have bugged you if you hadn't.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Nice man, looks good.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Well, she’s repaired. It took about four days with the Shop. They did an amazing job, a little tiny bit of overspray that I was able to wipe off myself from the fuel filler door, but almost an even worth mentioning. The car still has some old wheel well trim left on it that really looks fine but it’s being replaced. The body shop was sent the wrong trim and instead of me keeping the car there for no reason I’m just gonna bring them back and have them put the new trim on whenever it comes in. $1800 bucks out the door. But at least now my Vin number is unblemished even more important. My insurance is still claimless.
I’ll throw a couple pics up so you can see it before and after. Once everything’s 100% cured I determine if he needs any color correction or anything further, which the shop is obviously gonna take care of.
All that matters here is that you are pleased with the results. It looks good from where I'm sitting.