Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

High Mileage Explorer STs check in!

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
21 with 26k miles. No issues but JUST starting to get the slight rattle at cold start from the exhaust and massaging chair creaks once every 10 times using.
Have a 2020 with 43K miles. Catalytic converter and throttle body replaced under warranty. Yes, I have the exhaust rattle upon start up. Service dept. gave it a clean bill of health at 35K miles. Wife always asking me when is the exhaust going to fall off. No odd sounds from exhaust when driving. Everyone agree that this is normal that still has stock exhaust?

Reactions
Have a 2020 with 43K miles. Catalytic converter and throttle body replaced under warranty. Yes, I have the exhaust rattle upon start up. Service dept. gave it a clean bill of health at 35K miles. Wife always asking me when is the exhaust going to fall off. No odd sounds from exhaust when driving. Everyone agree that this is normal that still has stock exhaust?

There probably is a small crack or something somewhere causing it from what I hear.. my service dept (I work at a dealership) quickly checked it out and said it was fine.. not knowing they recommend using a small mirror to check the "top" of the cats.

I'll make more of a stink about if it gets worse.

STephen400

Reactions
56K on my 2020. No major issues. Just the normal ST problems

Reactions
2020, purchased June of 2020 with 6000 miles on her (GM's wife drove it).

2 and 1/2 years later we have 20,803 miles on her.

1 warranty item where the side of the driver's seat (plastic part) broke off. Maintenance every year whether she needs it or not. She mostly stays in the garage plugged in to the battery tender. Since May of 2022 we have only put 1,000 miles on her as she has been upgraded to garage queen status.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
Our 2021 ST has 14,886 miles on her so far, mostly driven by the wife to pick up groceries and dry cleaning. I mostly get to drive on the road trips lol!. The rear camera has been replaced 3 times and still acts up occasionally, no other issues.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
The only issues I've had on my 21 is the sunglasses holder in the overhead console broke and would stay open and the trans cooler on the side of the 10R60 had a small leak in the seams. Both were replaced under warranty. Also during the Christmas snow storm we just had, my son informed me that the heated seat on the rear drivers side quit working, so I have to get that looked at. All minor annoyances for 19,600 miles.

Reactions
88,443km aka 54,956mi on a 2020 June build. Damn (extended) warranty is gonna run out pretty soon lol

hbalek

Reactions
Our 2021 ST has 14,886 miles on her so far, mostly driven by the wife to pick up groceries and dry cleaning. I mostly get to drive on the road trips lol!. The rear camera has been replaced 3 times and still acts up occasionally, no other issues.
It's really sad that problems like some of the ones I've had in my 2020 11/19 build are still occurring after recalls and repairs on mine and others as well as later model years up to and including 2023 models. For example, the TSB and recalls for the camera issue and exhaust noise doesn't seem to be a permanent solution. Come of Ford, this is now the 4th model year of this new generation and so many of their fixes are merely temporary. I bet this is why they delayed the mid-cycle refresh so that they could do a more significant redesign.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
3 times!!!?? Dang!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
The only issues I've had on my 21 is the sunglasses holder in the overhead console broke and would stay open and the trans cooler on the side of the 10R60 had a small leak in the seams. Both were replaced under warranty. Also during the Christmas snow storm we just had, my son informed me that the heated seat on the rear drivers side quit working, so I have to get that looked at. All minor annoyances for 19,600 miles.
Our company cars sunglass never worked. The coworker said none of the 20+ ST fleat vehicles worked.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
24k on my 22 ST….let’s see who can beat that lol I do a lot of traveling for work so wanted a fun to drive daily !!
I also have a 2022 and have 24400 on it. So far, no issues other than cosmetic stuff.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Mine has 24k with full exhaust tune etc. and so far so good!
The only issues I have had was condensation in both the driver headlamp and fog lamp.
Which the dealer would not cover claim at 15k.
The fog lamp was affordable at 100.00 but the headlamp! WOW 1650.00 msrp

Reactions
88,443km aka 54,956mi on a 2020 June build. Damn (extended) warranty is gonna run out pretty soon lol
KNTRDR, UNBROKEN and TMac and many others on the site since late 2019 and early 2020, what ever happened to the days this forum was consumed with venom about BUYBACKS? Now I'm reading about high mileage ST "(shoulder shrug) hey, got a problem here or there but still love the car". Times have changed.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
On any auto forum, you have people who only show up for a single reason. They are either looking for a solution, looking to sell something, or looking to bitch. They post a couple times and you never see them again.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
On any auto forum, you have people who only show up for a single reason. They are either looking for a solution, looking to sell something, or looking to bitch. They post a couple times and you never see them again.
That's not me. :cool:
I joined to get inspired by the things you can do with such a vehicle.
And to learn how to give the best care to it (May be its like, looking for solutions ;))

I bought the ST after stalking it for 3 years.
I don't think any other vehicle will fit my needs as ST does.
Currently in the lookout for extended warranties.

Seeing the high milage STs, do give the confidence to the new buyers like me.
But I don't think I would be able to post any respectful numbers (@ 600 miles now) here for a long time.
My running is going to be low.

Reactions
That's not me. :cool:
I joined to get inspired by the things you can do with such a vehicle.
And to learn how to give the best care to it (May be its like, looking for solutions ;))

I bought the ST after stalking it for 3 years.
I don't think any other vehicle will fit my needs as ST does.
Currently in the lookout for extended warranties.

Seeing the high milage STs, do give the confidence to the new buyers like me.
But I don't think I would be able to post any respectful numbers (@ 600 miles now) here for a long time.
My running is going to be low.
No objection to stalking here. I did the same thing for more than 6 months before I took the leap. First and only forum I've ever belonged to.

travish325

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I'm just above 64k on my 2020. Bought almost exactly a year ago with 36k miles. No issues whatsoever to date. I have driven it all across the country last year and even towed my motorcycle a few times on road trips.

Mods I've done: HR springs, spacers, roof rack delete, fenfab intake and downpipes, full Thermal RD exhaust. Will be adding intercooler and tune soon.

Pretty sure I'll drive this thing till it falls apart as it's been one of the best and most practical vehicles I've owned.

Last edited:
Reactions
KNTRDR, UNBROKEN and TMac and many others on the site since late 2019 and early 2020, what ever happened to the days this forum was consumed with venom about BUYBACKS? Now I'm reading about high mileage ST "(shoulder shrug) hey, got a problem here or there but still love the car". Times have changed.
Ah, how time flies. I keep wondering what happened to my shiny brand new Exploder with 3km on the clock lol. Definitely been a good commuter car - eats up the highway km’s.