Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Hi level install cost for performance exhaust systems, intercooler, air intakes

Steve S

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Trying to get a high level cost to install the following on my 2020 ST
- Thermal R&D 3” catback exhaust system
- Typical upgrade intercooler (whippel, CVF, etc)
- New Air Intake (S&B, are)

Just need the typical/average install cost for each of the above
Any assistance would be much appreciated
Thanks

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I can't really speak to 1 and 2. Shop time is the big cost, many charge $120-$150/hr.
Intercooler is front bumper removal, which is several hours and a shop rate is generally high. (Setting the unit in place and connecting the hoses is dirt-simple)
Installing a catback is pretty straight forward 1.5-2.5hrs shop time.

The intake though, I would speak to - Do it yourself. There are a couple bolts to get out the old box, and it connects to a couple hose clamps. Warm the hose ends with a hairdryer to soften them and it should be quick.
If you spend 30 minutes doing it, you took your time. (hot/cold air pipes and charge pipe are a little different and add time)

Reactions
Are you mechanically inclined at all? Not to be smart but all of those items are not rocket science. If I lived closer I would be happy to help.

OP
S

Steve S

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
I can't really speak to 1 and 2. Shop time is the big cost, many charge $120-$150/hr.
Intercooler is front bumper removal, which is several hours and a shop rate is generally high. (Setting the unit in place and connecting the hoses is dirt-simple)
Installing a catback is pretty straight forward 1.5-2.5hrs shop time.

The intake though, I would speak to - Do it yourself. There are a couple bolts to get out the old box, and it connects to a couple hose clamps. Warm the hose ends with a hairdryer to soften them and it should be quick.
If you spend 30 minutes doing it, you took your time. (hot/cold air pipes and charge pipe are a little different and add time)
Thanks, helps. Trying to establish a budget.

OP
S

Steve S

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Are you mechanically inclined at all? Not to be smart but all of those items are not rocket science. If I lived closer I would be happy to help.
Yes, I can do the quick and dirty stuff. Don’t have the time to do the major items.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Trying to get a high level cost to install the following on my 2020 ST
- Thermal R&D 3” catback exhaust system
- Typical upgrade intercooler (whippel, CVF, etc)
- New Air Intake (S&B, are)

Just need the typical/average install cost for each of the above
Any assistance would be much appreciated
Thanks
I was quoted $800 to do intercooler alone. About $200 for exhaust install. I never got a quote for the intake because I would’ve done that myself.
Yes, I can do the quick and dirty stuff. Don’t have the time to do the major items.
Intake should be easy to do so I think you can do that and save money. Otherwise intercooler and exhaust are a little tedious.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Time is money. The "dirty" and the major stuff simply take time. You either make time (How much is yours worth?) or pay someone else to do the stuff at a rate they think their time is worth.

I've seen prices on intercooler installs ranging from $300 to $800. Some technicians value their time more than others. It took me between 4 and 5 hours in the driveway on jack stands. I've seen others report the same. I'd be suspect of a shop quoting more time than this.

Any shop with an open lift could put a Thermal exhaust system on in less than an hour. Many of us have done this in our driveways in about that same amount of time. If they're charging you more than 2 hours you're getting hammered.

I mean no offense with this comment but the prices you see here are prices from all over the country and aren't all that good for comparison unless they are close to you and even then only taken with a grain of salt.

The best price and the best job are vastly different means to an end. Getting an average is only relevant for shops within your travel radius. When getting the best price, a phone call or two will be your best friend. I would recommend finding a shop that is trusted, does quality work, and has experience with the Exploder and then simply pay their price as you know the job was done well. Anyway... best of luck.

Last edited:
OP
S

Steve S

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
Time is money. The "dirty" stuff takes time. You either make time (How much is yours worth?) or pay someone else to do the dirty stuff.

I've seen prices on intercooler installs ranging from $300 to $800. Some technicians value their time more than others. It took me about 4 hours in the driveway on front jack stands.

Any shop with an open lift could put a Thermal exhaust system on in less than an hour. Many of us have done this in our driveways in about that same amount of time. If they're charging you more than 2 hours you're getting hammered.

I mean no offense with this comment but the prices you see here are prices from all over the country and aren't all that good for comparison unless they are close to you and even then only taken with a grain of salt.

The best price and the best job are vastly different means to an end. Getting an average is only relevant for shops within your travel radius. When getting the best price, a phone call or two will be your best friend. I would recommend finding a shop that is trusted, does quality work, and has experience with the Exploder and then simply pay their price as you know the job was done well.
Thanks, that’s all great information. Gives me a place to start. I expected the intercooler install to be little more. So, I could live with that range.

OP
S

Steve S

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
Wanted to provide an update on my questions regarding install costs. I discussed my options and install cost with a local shop. They provided great information, feedback, and related install costs. (more than fair rates and great reputation)
I have decided on the following:
SPD 304SS 3” downpipes
CVF Intercooler
S&B Intake.
I’m trying to decide on the exhaust tips. I’d prefer black. Any suggestions?
Also, any additional suggestions or input is appreciated

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Wanted to provide an update on my questions regarding install costs. I discussed my options and install cost with a local shop. They provided great information, feedback, and related install costs. (more than fair rates and great reputation)
I have decided on the following:
SPD 304SS 3” downpipes
CVF Intercooler
S&B Intake.
I’m trying to decide on the exhaust tips. I’d prefer black. Any suggestions?
Also, any additional suggestions or input is appreciated
Why are you getting an S&B intake? If you are wanting it for looks go for it, but for performance it isn’t worth it. I would at least add charge pipes to your list also they have good gains. List would be pretty much complete after that.

OP
S

Steve S

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
Thanks for the reply and info. Will take another look at the intakes.
Thanks again.