Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Hi, I'm the new guy with a stupid question

Reactions
How do you tell the difference between the model years when driving? I can't tell what's what when I look at other Explorers. There's a billion different grills it seems.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
For example, are you looking how to distinguish a 2019 from a 2020?

OP
E
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Maybe not 19 from 20
The 20's have that "smile" in the grill

I can only see that difference

Reactions
Maybe not 19 from 20
The 20's have that "smile" in the grill

I can only see that difference
Maybe try pulling up pictures of each model year of the vehicle. The older models they did some upgrades, but there are different head light design. Nothing like going from a 19 to a 20 where they did a redesign.

hbalek

Reactions
Maybe try pulling up pictures of each model year of the vehicle. The older models they did some upgrades, but there are different head light design. Nothing like going from a 19 to a 20 where they did a redesign.
The last generation looks bloated and blunt compared to the current one, which is sleeker, sculpted with a sportier stance.

Reactions
The last generation looks bloated and blunt compared to the current one, which is sleeker, sculpted with a sportier stance.
I would agree, the rear wheel biased is what got me more hooked on this vehicle. That and I couldn’t resist the red...

hbalek

Reactions
I would agree, the rear wheel biased is what got me more hooked on this vehicle. That and I couldn’t resist the red...
i agree on both counts with you! I never wanted a red car until I saw this one!

Reactions
i agree on both counts with you! I never wanted a red car until I saw this one!
Oh my first vehicle was a red Ford Taurus, so I have always been on a look out for another red vehicle. A lot of the other red were just too bright fire truck type of red. I couldn’t do it…

Reactions
I think the 2019 fuel door is on the right side and 2020 is on the left. I may be wrong, but I've noticed this difference quite often.

Reactions
The very back side windows taper down toward the rear along with the roofline. The DRL’s are an easy way to spot the new ones coming toward you. Tail lights and fog lights are different too.

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I think the 2019 fuel door is on the right side and 2020 is on the left. I may be wrong, but I've noticed this difference quite often.
You are correct. They finally got this right. The fuel door should always be on the driver's side.

OP
E
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
OK, so any model on the old platform has the fuel door on the right
Any model on the newest platform (2020-21) has fuel door on left

Agreed?

Reactions
OK, so any model on the old platform has the fuel door on the right
Any model on the newest platform (2020-21) has fuel door on left

Agreed?
Sure, the last generation 2011-2019 are just updates/revisions of the vehicle. Still last generation. I found a picture that showed each generation but not that shows all the cosmetic revisions. I don’t know them all but it would be nice to know.