Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Help. Whistle Sound After Intercooler Install

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
So when at 6-8 pounds of boost and up I get a little whistle sound like letting air out of a balloon slowly. It’s not loud but noticeable. I’m steady on the throttle and boost is building. Should I just tighten clamps? I have HPS clamps and connector hoses on the Ultimate Performance IC. HKS SSQV BOV that was installed a couple months ago. Whistle just started after putting in IC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
That’s a boost leak.
I thought boost leak was a loud hissing sound?

Last edited:
Reactions
I thought boost leak was a loud hissing sound?

it would be a louder hissing sound if you were making full boost due to more air coming out of the leak path. Check all of your connections again and make sure the fitting you install on the driver side of the Whipple has thread sealant on it and is properly tightened. Also make sure the air sensor you removed with the 2x T27 torx screws is properly reinstalled.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Rubber boots can whistle.

OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
it would be a louder hissing sound if you were making full boost due to more air coming out of the leak path. Check all of your connections again and make sure the fitting you install on the driver side of the Whipple has thread sealant on it and is properly tightened. Also make sure the air sensor you removed with the 2x T27 torx screws is properly reinstalled.
I have the ultimate performance IC. The fitting was welded on. I was worried about the sensor the most since it’s so hard to get to. But I made sure it was well seated on install since I didn’t have any gasket maker. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Rubber boots can whistle.
Thanks Unbroken. It was the boots. I readjusted and tightened the cold side clamp since the Fenfab pipe tapers pretty good. Then I retightened the hot side. Checked the BOV and connections. Tightened the catch can. Noise gone.

What do you estimate my max boost should be on e50? Would the larger IC drop max boost?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Intercooler doesn't affect boost seen in the intake, it affects intake air temperature.

OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Intercooler doesn't affect boost seen in the intake, it affects intake air temperature.
Obviously IAT.

I was thinking a side effect of the increased volume in the IC might bring total pressure down. But that doesn’t make much sense. Maybe milliseconds longer to get to peak boost.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Honestly, the question shows you're thinking! But, consider: when you lower temps, you lower pressure. An intercooler definitely lowers the pressure coming from the compressor by removing heat. However the increase in volume lowers velocity and increases pressure (they're inversely proportional) . In the end however, the boost control solenoid is running off the intake, and the control mechanism is on the turbine. Static pressure is higher at compressor discharge and lower at the intake manifold. Temp is higher at compressor discharge and lower at intake manifold. End result is same mass flow per time unit at lower temps which is healthier for the engine.

OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
Honestly, the question shows you're thinking! But, consider: when you lower temps, you lower pressure. An intercooler definitely lowers the pressure coming from the compressor by removing heat. However the increase in volume lowers velocity and increases pressure (they're inversely proportional) . In the end however, the boost control solenoid is running off the intake, and the control mechanism is on the turbine. Static pressure is higher at compressor discharge and lower at the intake manifold. Temp is higher at compressor discharge and lower at intake manifold. End result is same mass flow per time unit at lower temps which is healthier for the engine.
Thanks again for the help and informative answer. Much appreciated.