Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Hello & I have some questions...

MN Guy

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Hi All,

1st time Explorer owner, long time "can't keep it stock" guy. Been working remote for several years and haven't had a need for a (newer/reliable) vehicle until recently when we were called back into the office. My thought process was well, if I have to start driving again for work, I want to be in something I enjoy, so here we are. So far I've had the vehicle for 2 weeks and it's pretty fun, I really enjoy the feel of the steering response and look fwd to getting a tune eventually to sort out these shift points. Previous vehicles have been a Gen 2 Eagle Talon that had a 16G upgrade and some modest tuning. Several years later I found myself in an '09 WRX that eventually became highly tuned and ultimately traded in for a truck to help transport my race bike to and from the track.

After lurking for a while I figured I'd make one post with the questions I've compiled along the way. If mods see fit we can break these out, I just didn't want to make a ton of new threads/posts.

1) Yes, I'm that guy, I want more turbo and BOV noise. I love it and must have it so I'm hoping the AFE intake that's in the mail will increase turbo and valve noise as that's what I'm after for now. The build date per the door jam is 2/21 so I assume this model has a BOV. One Q I have is despite having an existing BOV, would it make more sense to simply buy the FenFab pipe for ease of installation and possibly more PPPPSSHHHHTT because the val;ve is mounted on metal vs plastic? I am not a fan of the dying seal noise the HKS valve can make at times and had a Synapse - Synchronic (vac style) valve on my WRX and really loved the variety of sounds it would make depending on load.

2) This whole differential issue - can't a guy just obtain another bolt and rifle it in there to solve the problem? Additionally will the diff brace really solve this issue or is it more of a band-aid fix for now?

3) WHAT is with these HEADRESTS! Did FORD assume all ST owners would be hunchback? I am aware of how it adjusts but I can't seem to figure out a comfortable position to have the headrest in. I'm not a seat back kind of driver, I like my seat in a more of an upright position, which then puts the headrest at an 11 O'clock position. Is there a fix anyone knows of?

4) FordPass app - I had the Uconnect app when I had a Dodge Ram and I loved it, primarily used it to preheat the truck in the downtown parking ramps. The keyfob remote start won't work in the parking garages so your only option is to go through the vehicles app. The other day I was attempting to find my vehicle (parked in a new ramp that day and didn't pay enough attention) and when I opened the FordPass app it said my vehicle was at home, 20 miles away. Anyone else experience something like this?

5) the vehicle was originally from Canada, any complications with things going fwd or anything I should be aware of? I know vehicles built for California get all sorts of restrictions slapped on them but haven't heard of anything for Canadian vehicles. Fun fact when I owned a Tacoma, the Canadian models came with block heaters and well, I was told by the dealer that installing an OEM block heater in my US vehicle would void warranty :)

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Hi All,

1st time Explorer owner, long time "can't keep it stock" guy. Been working remote for several years and haven't had a need for a (newer/reliable) vehicle until recently when we were called back into the office. My thought process was well, if I have to start driving again for work, I want to be in something I enjoy, so here we are. So far I've had the vehicle for 2 weeks and it's pretty fun, I really enjoy the feel of the steering response and look fwd to getting a tune eventually to sort out these shift points. Previous vehicles have been a Gen 2 Eagle Talon that had a 16G upgrade and some modest tuning. Several years later I found myself in an '09 WRX that eventually became highly tuned and ultimately traded in for a truck to help transport my race bike to and from the track.

After lurking for a while I figured I'd make one post with the questions I've compiled along the way. If mods see fit we can break these out, I just didn't want to make a ton of new threads/posts.

1) Yes, I'm that guy, I want more turbo and BOV noise. I love it and must have it so I'm hoping the AFE intake that's in the mail will increase turbo and valve noise as that's what I'm after for now. The build date per the door jam is 2/21 so I assume this model has a BOV. One Q I have is despite having an existing BOV, would it make more sense to simply buy the FenFab pipe for ease of installation and possibly more PPPPSSHHHHTT because the val;ve is mounted on metal vs plastic? I am not a fan of the dying seal noise the HKS valve can make at times and had a Synapse - Synchronic (vac style) valve on my WRX and really loved the variety of sounds it would make depending on load.

2) This whole differential issue - can't a guy just obtain another bolt and rifle it in there to solve the problem? Additionally will the diff brace really solve this issue or is it more of a band-aid fix for now?

3) WHAT is with these HEADRESTS! Did FORD assume all ST owners would be hunchback? I am aware of how it adjusts but I can't seem to figure out a comfortable position to have the headrest in. I'm not a seat back kind of driver, I like my seat in a more of an upright position, which then puts the headrest at an 11 O'clock position. Is there a fix anyone knows of?

4) FordPass app - I had the Uconnect app when I had a Dodge Ram and I loved it, primarily used it to preheat the truck in the downtown parking ramps. The keyfob remote start won't work in the parking garages so your only option is to go through the vehicles app. The other day I was attempting to find my vehicle (parked in a new ramp that day and didn't pay enough attention) and when I opened the FordPass app it said my vehicle was at home, 20 miles away. Anyone else experience something like this?

5) the vehicle was originally from Canada, any complications with things going fwd or anything I should be aware of? I know vehicles built for California get all sorts of restrictions slapped on them but haven't heard of anything for Canadian vehicles. Fun fact when I owned a Tacoma, the Canadian models came with block heaters and well, I was told by the dealer that installing an OEM block heater in my US vehicle would void warranty :)
Congrats and welcome. That AFE is going to give you the sound you want from those turbos. The diff brave isn't a band aid and haven't heard of any bad feedback for them. FordPass sometimes isn't always right, and parking garages cab block the signal, which means the FordPass will go off where it was last updated the signal.

OP
M

MN Guy

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Welcome to the forum. Not sure where you are in MN but I would suggest finding a different dealer. It make no sense that installing a OEM block heater would affect your warranty. I bought my ST from Apple Valley Ford in Apple Valley and it was ordered in with the block heater. In fact it looked like all their stock vehicles are ordered that way. As for the differential brace I would go with the AWR. I've seen posts where the Diffy Stiffy bent. No experience with either, just my 2 cents on those.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
OP
M

MN Guy

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Thanks, I'll get the AWR. The warranty issue in my previous post was for a Toyota Tacoma I had a while back when I was younger, renting a house with friends (I got the driveway spot) I don't need one now in this vehicle and I never thought one might already be installed.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Hi All,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Hi All,

For #3 just full forward on the headrest and it will go back to flat.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
You'd need a new rear diff cover, which is why they're on back order. And I guess a diff brace is better than nothing.

But FORD's numbers plus my own poll shows the whole bolt shear issue has been grossly over exaggerated.

Try telling that to some people here and the tin foil hat wearing Chicken Little's come out. Lol

Reactions
the 2/21 build should have all the bolts on the differential. It was mid/late 21 when they switched.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
the 2/21 build should have all the bolts on the differential. It was mid/late 21 when they switched.
Yeah, my 3/24/2021 build has the 2-bolt cover on the diff, but the 1-bolt subframe.

OP
M

MN Guy

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #13
I installed the AWR dif brace over the weekend and it feels like it makes a difference as far as the "slop" in the drive train goes. I like to use the sport mode quite a bit but man these shift points leave a lot to be desired. Until I convince myself to go ahead and tune it this will have to do.

The headrests were something I researched from day 1, I understand how to "ratchet" them back to what they consider straight but it's still very angled but I can live with it.

Thanks for the welcome ya'll, happy to be here!

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hi All,

Welcome.