Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Hello from MO!

Svt95gt

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Hello to you all. Just picked up my 2021 Ex ST!
Still trying to learn all about it. It has the 401A, Street Perf, Tech Packages and sunroof. Not sure what the 401A gets me over the 400A other than intelligent cruise and massaging seats.
Any recommendations for first mods? Not sure i'm comfortable with the intercooler upgrade yet, but what about a tuner and maybe a CAI?
Also looking at wheel spaces prior to lowering kit, is it worth it? Thanks!
Side2.jpg

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Congratulations and welcome.

The intercooler swap isn't that bad. Make sure you have a good workplace out of the elements and set aside one day on the weekend so you can take your time with it. It will pay dividends seeing how you want to do an intake swap and tune.

aFe Momentum intake, https://afepower.com/ford-explorer-st-performance-upgrades-parts-intake-exhaust-tuner-air-filter, and a tune from Adam at ZFG, https://www.tunedbyzfgracing.com/product-page/2020-21-ford-explorer-3-0l-zfg-racing-custom-tune, will get your heart going.

There is tons of stuff on this forum to read about them, check it out.

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
Congrats and welcome aboard

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Hello to you all. Just picked up my 2021 Ex ST!
Still trying to learn all about it. It has the 401A, Street Perf, Tech Packages and sunroof. Not sure what the 401A gets me over the 400A other than intelligent cruise and massaging seats.
Any recommendations for first mods? Not sure i'm comfortable with the intercooler upgrade yet, but what about a tuner and maybe a CAI?
Also looking at wheel spaces prior to lowering kit, is it worth it? Thanks!
View attachment 16368
Welcome to the forum

OP
S

Svt95gt

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Congratulations and welcome.

The intercooler swap isn't that bad. Make sure you have a good workplace out of the elements and set aside one day on the weekend so you can take your time with it. It will pay dividends seeing how you want to do an intake swap and tune.

aFe Momentum intake, https://afepower.com/ford-explorer-st-performance-upgrades-parts-intake-exhaust-tuner-air-filter, and a tune from Adam at ZFG, https://www.tunedbyzfgracing.com/product-page/2020-21-ford-explorer-3-0l-zfg-racing-custom-tune, will get your heart going.

There is tons of stuff on this forum to read about them, check it out.
Thanks Cajun!
Will you see anything from just the intake or do you have to tune once you put the intake on? Want to buy things that work together, but buy them over time.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If you want bang-for-the-buck, my advice is to forget exhausts and intakes. Get the CVFab intercooler (only because it's cheaper the the Whipple), and a ZFG tune. All in about $1800. As long as you're willing to run 93 (or for somewhat less HP, 91 octane), you will see around 100 HP increase. Nothing, and I mean nothing- comes close to that bargain.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Congrats and welcome! Plenty of info on the upgrades to find here. What upgrade are you curious about being worth it? Any mod is worth it when it suits your tastes and desired outcome!

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thanks Cajun!
Will you see anything from just the intake or do you have to tune once you put the intake on? Want to buy things that work together, but buy them over time.
Nothing from just an intake swap. Sounds cool but no gains. As @TMac mentioned in his post earlier, an intercooler swap and a ZFG tune is the way to go.

OP
S

Svt95gt

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
If you want bang-for-the-buck, my advice is to forget exhausts and intakes. Get the CVFab intercooler (only because it's cheaper the the Whipple), and a ZFG tune. All in about $1800. As long as you're willing to run 93 (or for somewhat less HP, 91 octane), you will see around 100 HP increase. Nothing, and I mean nothing- comes close to that bargain.
Awesome! Thanks, i will look into these. This is really what i was looking for, best bang for the buck.
I don't want to spend $500 on an intake to net 10hp (in theory).
Does the intercooler itself produce more power or just cooler inlet temps? I figured a tune would net the most gains, but does it produce better results with the larger ic?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Nothing from just an intake swap. Sounds cool but no gains. As @TMac mentioned in his post earlier, an intercooler swap and a ZFG tune is the way to go.
Also, both of those would be needed in any case if you wanted to go further with performance (engine) mods, so no money wasted.

OP
S

Svt95gt

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
Is there any need for the oil catch can? I know everything turbocharged has one made for it...
Same thing with BOV's. Not sure anyone really needs either unless they are pulling some serious power levels.
Rear Diff brace...strut tower brace...sway bars...where does it end?!

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Awesome! Thanks, i will look into these. This is really what i was looking for, best bang for the buck.
I don't want to spend $500 on an intake to net 10hp (in theory).
Does the intercooler itself produce more power or just cooler inlet temps? I figured a tune would net the most gains, but does it produce better results with the larger ic?
You will get the same performance without the intercooler- once. The intercooler is insurance and while it doesn't directly affect performance per se, it makes all your gains more consistent, provides lower intake temps over the long term, and positively affects your engine longevity at higher power levels.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Is there any need for the oil catch can? I know everything turbocharged has one made for it...
Same thing with BOV's. Not sure anyone really needs either unless they are pulling some serious power levels.
A lot of the things I put on my ST are not necessay, one is the oil catch can. Just makes me feel better. The BOV swap is not needed unless you want that cool whiz noise when you let off the gas...lol

OP
S

Svt95gt

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #14
You will get the same performance without the intercooler- once. The intercooler is insurance and while it doesn't directly affect performance per se, it makes all your gains more consistent, provides lower intake temps over the long term, and positively affects your engine longevity at higher power levels.
That makes sense. Anything to avoid?
This will be my DD and i do need ability to pull my boat to and from storage 1/yr.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
BOV is worthless. A catch can may help with coking on intake valves in the ST's direct injection engine- not a bad investment if you're planning on keeping it long term. If you have the 1 bolt rear diff, the AWR or ID speed diff braces are also good insurance. The intercooler will also enhance your gas mileage while towing.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
That makes sense. Anything to avoid?
This will be my DD and i do need ability to pull my boat to and from storage 1/yr.
Make sure to pick the right tune from ZFG if you plan to tow. The 93 tune does not recommend you tow with it.

OP
S

Svt95gt

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #17
BOV is worthless. A catch can may help with intake valve coking on intake valves in the ST's direct injection engine- not a bad investment if you're planning on keeping it long term. If you have the 1 bolt rear diff, the AWR or ID speed diff braces are also good insurance. The intercooler will also enhance your gas mileage while towing.
How do i determine if i have a 1 bolt rear?

OP
S

Svt95gt

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #18
Make sure to pick the right tune from ZFG if you plan to tow. The 93 tune does not recommend you tow with it.
Looking at the ZFG stage1 kit...Whats a good tune to go with? Performance or Daily Driver?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Most likely, you do. But look under the rear of the vehicle to the rear diff. You will see either one or two bolts that connect the rear subframe horizontally to the read diff cover. Most '21s have a single bolt.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Looking at the ZFG stage1 kit...Whats a good tune to go with? Performance or Daily Driver?
Tell Adam at ZFG what you're trying to accomplish- octane, towing, etc. He'll let you know.