Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Heated seats Only work after the second start of the day.

JacksonJay

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hey all.

I bought my 2020 ST back in August, and so far it's been great! Been to Ford a few time for some recall stuff ( Back up camera, and Cat replacement not that it needed it ).
Everything works great for the most part, how ever my heated seats don't work right. For example I can start the car, go on a 5 hour road trip, and the seats don't do anything even with the switches on. Cooled seats work, Massaging Seats work, but not heated. Here is where I am at a loss... I can drive 10 minutes to town run into a store, and when I turn my car on for the 2nd time, my @$$ is on fire.
I would suspect corrosion in the plug under the seat but it doesn't make sense to me that it only happens the second time or 3rd, 4th and so on and so fourth.

If any one has had this issue or any insight that would be awesome! Thanks!

ST2!_inPixio.jpg

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
We purchased my 2020 ST in June and I swear the heated seats worked when I took it for a test drive. The following week it went back for some recalls (the original owner did not take care of any of the recalls or TSB/known issues, but at least he kept it very clean and low miles, only 16k!). Fast forward to October, when the temps dip into freezing for the first time and the driver seat is not getting warm. Luckily I bought the extended warranty and finally took it in a couple of weeks ago for an oil change and for the heated seat issue, they had to replace the heating element and it was covered under the extended warranty.

Maybe your heating element is on the way out? Or maybe the original owner(s) might have spilled something? I was warned by the service advisor if the issue was not a defect and damage, I would be on the hook for the diagnostic fee ($180).