Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Headrests on 3rd Row Seat Won't Go Down

linsys

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 F150
I just got a 2020 Explorer ST today from CarMax. So far I love it!! But I really don't need the 3rd row all the time just once in a blue moon. So I tried to put the rear seats down and I cannot figure out how to get the head rests to fold down. Is there some kind of a trick? I tried to pull the handle next to them and you can clearly pull the handle and hear a click like it "worked" but then when I push on the head rest it does not budge.

The buttons to move the seats down works but with the headrests up the second row seats don't move back properly.

Any advice?

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
From the owners manual.

The head restraints consist of:
An energy absorbing head
restraint.
A
B Two steel stems.
C Fold strap.
Folding the Head Restraint
Pull the fold strap (C). Pull the head
restraint back up to reset.
Note: Press the stow or fold button on the
power folding seats to fold the head
restraint.

OP
linsys

linsys

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 F150
Thread Starter #3
From the owners manual.
C Fold strap.
Folding the Head Restraint
Pull the fold strap (C).
Yep, I tried to pull the fold strap. In the videos online people pull that strap and the head rest falls down, but not on mine.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yep, I tried to pull the fold strap. In the videos online people pull that strap and the head rest falls down, but not on mine.
is there any factory warranty left? If not does CarMax offer any warranty? And is one side or both? Sounds like it may require service to fix it.

OP
linsys

linsys

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 F150
Thread Starter #5
Yea, luckily CarMax has a 90 days 4k miles "Anything" warranty. So they will fix it. I just wanted to see if there was any kind of trick or if I was just being dumb.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I saw someone say they had to pull the strap while pulling the headrest to the rear then it would go forward.

Reactions
Vehicle
20 Platinum
I have a similar issue on my 2020. Pulling the strap on the drivers side gives a definite "click" and the headrest goes down. The passengers side does not give the click, and the headrest does not go down. With mine though, both headrests will go down when using the buttons. There is an obvious mechanical issue inside the seat but because by buttons work, I haven't done anything about it yet.