Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Headlights turn on while parked at night

Pma4usa

Reactions
Has anyone had an issue where the headlights turn on randomly after the vehicle has been parked for a while. Only happens at night. When entering the vehicle in this state and starting the vehicle the headlight selector dial light is extinguished until it is turned to a new selection. Vehicle is always left on Auto.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I had this happen once. Turned the headlights off and shut down. Next day I set it back to auto and it's been fine ever since. A glitch in the switch?

hbalek

Reactions
Mine did this about once a month for several months and hasn't happen in long time.

OP
P

Pma4usa

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Thanks. My vehicle is doing an update right now. I will keep an eye on it.

last time it happened it drained the battery.

Rob1423

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer XLT
Thanks. My vehicle is doing an update right now. I will keep an eye on it.
last time it happened it drained the battery.
My explorer does the same thing every other day or so. It has drained the battery a few times already l, did you ever find out what the problem was?

Rob1423

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer XLT
Also if I lock the vehicle the alarm will sound off a few minutes after locking it

Rob1423

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer XLT
For anyone with problems related to headlights coming on at random and alarm going off after locking the vehicle, I replaced the broken lift gate pistons and all problems have ceased.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Do you all have 2020s? I wouldn't be surprised if this was addressed in one of the BCM updates.

Reactions
It’s done it to me two or three times - I go outside, cycle the key on and off, cycle the headlight switch between a few settings and back to auto, seems to fix it.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
About a month ago at my son‘s house. Went out to turn them off, got about 3 feet from the vehicle, and they go off. Had the fob in my pocket. Another gremlin.

Reactions
Ford just released a TSB for mavericks about this issue, I’ve seen it recently for other models too, says “internal logic within the switch” is at fault, and the fix it replacing the switch