Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Headlight/Fog Light Tint

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
Can anyone recommend a good tint for the headlights and fog lights? The stuff on Amazon has terrible reviews.

Update: I went with Lamin-X. I'll post pics on my build page.

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Where did you get the Lamin-X? A sheet or pre-cut?

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
I got the fog lights done, I got the rear reflectors and reverse lights done but I'm having an issue with the taillight housing film. When I try to lay the film around the corners it wants to bunch up at the center point. The instructions specifically say, "Do Not Stretch". I tried using a heat gun on low but it didn't work. What am I missing? Anyone have experience with this?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Anything with curves is hard to do. It takes patience and practice. Just one reason I don't like precut tint/film. Maybe contact the vendor and say you messed up--many will offer replacements for a fraction of the cost.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I got the fog lights done, I got the rear reflectors and reverse lights done but I'm having an issue with the taillight housing film. When I try to lay the film around the corners it wants to bunch up at the center point. The instructions specifically say, "Do Not Stretch". I tried using a heat gun on low but it didn't work. What am I missing? Anyone have experience with this?
I ran into the same issue. Couldn't seen to make the main housing fit. Didn't try a heat gun or anything, gave up pretty quick and will tray again later.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
Anything with curves is hard to do. It takes patience and practice. Just one reason I don't like precut tint/film. Maybe contact the vendor and say you messed up--many will offer replacements for a fraction of the cost.
I contacted Lamin-X and they are working with me. I sent this photo of how it's "rippling" on the inside of the curve. IMG_5557.jpg I didn't compltely peel off the backing and was able to get the film off so it's not ruined. I'm going to give it another go tomorrow and take some more photos for them to see. I just don't see these fitting.

way2far

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
How did things end up?

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
Still in the box. Cold set in before I could try again using a heat gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST 401A Pkg White Met Tri-Coat
LaminX is good stuff. I wouldn’t use a heat gun. Hair dryer is safer. You wont be able to melt/ruin/deform it as ez.. Might want to try spray with soapy water so you can move it around. Then squeegee it down. Their company should get ya squared away. Curves are a biotch. Requires patience pull, stretch, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk