Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

headlamp switch module problem

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Just wanted to report an issue with the headlamp switch module in case anyone has this turn up.

Today, I turn off the car and noticed the car was chiming. I thought that was strange but could find nothing wrong. I return home and park it in my garage. I notice the headlights and taillights would not turn off after I locked the car. I go back inside and after 15 minutes headlights and tail lights are still on. I turn on the car and notice the headlight switches have no lights and are unresponsive. The tailgate button seems to work though. Forscan shows an error code for the headlight switch module under bodycontrol module. There is no service procedure in Forscan for resetting the headlight switch module and resetting bodycontrol module didn't fix things. Before pulling the battery ground (which probably would have worked), I removed the switch module with a plastic trim panel tool. Unplugged it and replugged it. Started working again and lights are back on the module. I'll have to keep an eye on it...hopefully it's not failing. Part# is LB5Z-11654-TA. About $77.

Last edited:

hbalek

Reactions
Just wanted to report an issue with the headlamp switch module in case anyone has this turn up.

Today, I turn off the car and noticed the car was chiming. I thought that was strange but could find nothing wrong. I return home and park it in my garage. I notice the headlights and taillights would not run off after I locked the car. I go back inside and after 15 minutes headlights and tail lights are still on. I turn on the car and notice the headlight switches have no lights and are unresponsive. The tailgate button seems to work though. Forscan shows an error code for the headlight switch module under bodycontrol module. There is no service procedure in Forscan for resetting the headlight switch module and resetting bodycontrol module didn't fix things. Before pulling the battery ground (which probably would have worked), I removed the switch module with a plastic trim panel tool. Unplugged it and replugged it. Started working again and lights are back on the module. I'll have to keep an eye on it...hopefully it's not failing. Part# is LB5Z-11654-TA. About $77.
This has happened to me once or twice a year for the past 3 years. If you turn the switch off and back on the module resets and it won't happen again for a very long time. This is why I never had it checked out.