Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Has anyone done PPF on their windshield?

SOUTHFLST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
A buddy owns a wrap business in NY. He posted one of his projects where he did the entire car, windshield and all. I’m wondering if it created any drag on the wiper since PPF isn’t as slick as glass.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I've never even heard of that. Tint on the inside I've heard of but PPF on the outside? Nope.

OP
SOUTHFLST

SOUTHFLST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I've never even heard of that. Tint on the inside I've heard of but PPF on the outside? Nope.
Yup. New to me too. I just read the comments. He says it’s a special kind of PPF.
699DFAC9-47E8-4EEC-89B0-786B8FC77869.jpeg

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You should absolutely do this- then drive for about 5000 miles- then post again and let us know how it worked.

Reactions
I talked to my installer about a McLaren he did for a guy who is a track rat, its not normal PPF and it prevents chips but he said it is a major PITA to remove when the time comes to replace it.

OP
SOUTHFLST

SOUTHFLST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
I talked to my installer about a McLaren he did for a guy who is a track rat, its not normal PPF and it prevents chips but he said it is a major PITA to remove when the time comes to replace it.
Thats my understanding as well. I’m sure it would be great for preventing chips. Especially on a track where you are bumper to bumper kicking up fod.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I covered entire front end including headlights and fogs with PPF but windshield doesn't seem right. I got nano ceramic on the inside of windshield but that's a 100% different story.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Sounds like the tear away sheets that the Nascar teams put on the windshields for pit stops

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
My guess is that they had Exoshield put on the windshield and not PPF. Exoshield is not self healing like PPF and is a hard surface that stops small grit that gets kicked up off the road/track from pitting the windshield and helps to limit damage from larger objects. It’s a very popular product for Jeep, Tesla and exotic vehicle owners because of the costs to replace windshields or in the case of Jeep owners because it is a big flat almost vertical piece of glass that tends to get road damage quite easily. I decided to have it done to my new ST after an earlier experience having a large chuck of rock get tossed into my old Explorer Sport’s windshield that caused an shattering of the windshield and scared the heck out of myself and my wife.

Exoshield has a 2-year/30,000 mile (50,000 km) warranty and it is in fact a PITA to remove as the installer already had to pull the original film and put new on after another rock encounter which damaged the film but not the windshield. So money we’ll spent in my opinion.

It ran around $500 installed and the installer went ahead and paid the $250 additional coverage option that provides a two year $750 glass replacement policy from Exoshield.

Here’s a YouTube video about the product.

Last edited: