Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Hard launch transmission disengages

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Too much ZFG sauce :cool:
Just need some better traction and I'm betting I'd be good.
Better traction would just lead to a higher load condition which would exacerbate an over-torque situation if that is indeed the problem.

jmcneil

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I want to say its wheel spin, but I get no jarring, no wheel hop at all. Thing drives straight as an arrow. Hoping thats all this is. I can live with that over a trans issues

Reactions
There is another thread somewhere back in 2021 taking about this. Mine did this with about 2k miles on it. There is a TSB in which they run the transmission through a learn cycle. Basically, there were some solenoids that might be tighter in some installs than others. This TSB addresses it. After that was done, I've not had this issue again. Same issue reported on several 10 speed models, per dealer.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Reactions
I had a very similar situation, exact symptoms, in another Ford performance vehicle. My tuner told me I was probably hitting traction control. It was happening on a roll so I didn’t believe him. He road with me logging with his laptop and I was able to recreate it. Sure enough, hitting traction control. He shortened the time it takes to reset. But other than that I need to take off the traction control If I intend to get squirrely.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
So funny that I read this thread randomly this afternoon, later in the day showing a buddy what the car could do mine and it did the same thing as noted by the OP. I had turned off all TCs and between shifts of 2-3rd the car shuddered, revved all the way up to red line until I let off the gas and it finally shifted. So i stopped, hit it again from a dig and was able to replicate it. Ended up getting a check manual error and a wrench showed up on the right side of the display. Odd thing too is when I got to my destination (about 2 miles up the road) the car stayed on even when I shut it off and all the displays went dark. Had to turn it on and off a few times to get the car to actually shut down. While in the store my app sent me the error below.

was able to re-create the same issue with TC on as well. I have the 91 ZFG Tune with filter and exhaust. Looks like I might need to run a data log since I can recreate the issue but a little disconcerting.

1000000401.jpg

butt_yodel

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
So funny that I read this thread randomly this afternoon, later in the day showing a buddy what the car could do mine and it did the same thing as noted by the OP. I had turned off all TCs and between shifts of 2-3rd the car shuddered, revved all the way up to red line until I let off the gas and it finally shifted. So i stopped, hit it again from a dig and was able to replicate it. Ended up getting a check manual error and a wrench showed up on the right side of the display. Odd thing too is when I got to my destination (about 2 miles up the road) the car stayed on even when I shut it off and all the displays went dark. Had to turn it on and off a few times to get the car to actually shut down. While in the store my app sent me the error below.

was able to re-create the same issue with TC on as well. I have the 91 ZFG Tune with filter and exhaust. Looks like I might need to run a data log since I can recreate the issue but a little disconcerting.

View attachment 15303
Exact description of what I’m seeing. Sent in my logs, Adam said he didn’t see a shift and that I should check trans fluid. Fluid levels came back fine.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Exact description of what I’m seeing. Sent in my logs, Adam said he didn’t see a shift and that I should check trans fluid. Fluid levels came back fine.
Did you get the same error on your app?

butt_yodel

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Well that's disheartening that Adam didn't see the failure in the logs
Just to clarify - he didn't see the failure in logs I sent from another occurrence that did not involve the wrench. I haven't sent him logs that capture the DTC -- that won't show up until you repeat the failure several times.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Just to clarify - he didn't see the failure in logs I sent from another occurrence that did not involve the wrench. I haven't sent him logs that capture the DTC -- that won't show up until you repeat the failure several times.
Can't he see the missed shifts in the logs though? You would think he could see what the trans is doing at each pull

butt_yodel

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Can't he see the missed shifts in the logs though? You would think he could see what the trans is doing at each pull
No idea, just didn’t want to throw him under the bus unnecessarily by not being clear. His exact words:

“It’s not making the 1-2 shift at all. It looks like a transmission issue. Please check the fluid level in the trans.”

Didn’t follow up after checking trans fluid. Kinda doubt the dealer even actually checked — didn’t see myself. Stopped worrying about it because several people seem to have an easy time recreating it now that the weather is cold. I have no other trans problems, just a rough shift in Sport mode only 3->4. Buttery smooth the rest of the way. Launched it yesterday after warming the tires up, good traction and no issues.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I’ve had one occurrence where the “ trans” seemed to take a second or 2 to “hook up” after poking it in second gear. It really acted more like the torque converter was slipping rather than clutches in the trans. Only happened one time and it was indeed really cold out and only a few miles from home where it was started for the first time. The engine coolant was up to temp, but the trans was likely not. It takes quite a bit longer for the engine oil & trans/diffs lubes to warm up completely vs the engine coolant.

The torque converter also locks up as quickly as it can for quick shifts, so it needs to be fully up to temp before putting max load on it.

Moral of the story is; don’t beat on it until you’re sure it’s all up to operating temp, ie 180degF.

butt_yodel

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I’ve had one occurrence where the “ trans” seemed to take a second or 2 to “hook up” after poking it in second gear. It really acted more like the torque converter was slipping rather than clutches in the trans. Only happened one time and it was indeed really cold out and only a few miles from home where it was started for the first time. The engine coolant was up to temp, but the trans was likely not. It takes quite a bit longer for the engine oil & trans/diffs lubes to warm up completely vs the engine coolant.

The torque converter also locks up as quickly as it can for quick shifts, so it needs to be fully up to temp before putting max load on it.

Moral of the story is; don’t beat on it until you’re sure it’s all up to operating temp, ie 180degF.
I hate winter, I'm missing Florida right about now :)

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST

I think you might be into something there... each time it's happened to me was right around 5-10mins turning the car on coldish.

I did a hard pull from a dig and didn't have any issues after it's been running a bit

Reactions
So we have done several data logs and they are on both 2022 ST's we have, they are being looked at by LMS. We will up date when we get any info..

Reactions
No idea, just didn’t want to throw him under the bus unnecessarily by not being clear. His exact words:

“It’s not making the 1-2 shift at all. It looks like a transmission issue. Please check the fluid level in the trans.”

Didn’t follow up after checking trans fluid. Kinda doubt the dealer even actually checked — didn’t see myself. Stopped worrying about it because several people seem to have an easy time recreating it now that the weather is cold. I have no other trans problems, just a rough shift in Sport mode only 3->4. Buttery smooth the rest of the way. Launched it yesterday after warming the tires up, good traction and no issues.
I also have a bad shift 3>4. I think it's just the way Adam tunes the trans. Every other shift is fine. I told him and he wanted me to log it to make corrections but I've been lazy. It's just a really harsh shift, nothing that ruins my day. If I'm actually WOT it shifts fine. Normal driving, it's like dumping the clutch into 4th.

butt_yodel

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I also have a bad shift 3>4. I think it's just the way Adam tunes the trans. Every other shift is fine. I told him and he wanted me to log it to make corrections but I've been lazy. It's just a really harsh shift, nothing that ruins my day. If I'm actually WOT it shifts fine. Normal driving, it's like dumping the clutch into 4th.
Same. Do you have any rough shifts in normal mode? Normally the trans shifts from 3-5, but if you get the throttle just right you can get a 3-4. Buttery smooth in normal mode.

Reactions
Same. Do you have any rough shifts in normal mode? Normally the trans shifts from 3-5, but if you get the throttle just right you can get a 3-4. Buttery smooth in normal mode.
I've never driven in normal mode lol.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
ive had the rough shifts in Normal mode as well from 3-4. in sport more so and it kinda makes me cringe just a little.