Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Hard launch transmission disengages

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I just loaded Rev1 from ZFG (93 tune) and was doing some data logging for Rev2 when I experienced what other have talked about. 68° F right now. Traction control off, brake launch ~2500 rpms, lots of wheel hop and loss of power in 1st and banged off the rev limiter and didn't shift to 2nd until I let off the gas. Did a stomp and go after that and saw some hesitation when shifting from 1-2 and then again from 2-3.

I was hoping that it would not do this after reading others accounts, but not on the final tune yet so we will see what happens in the end. It did scare the crap out of me just like other stated.

Tdogg253

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 st
I think I am having the same issue in my 2 month old 22. Temperature has been lower the last three weeks and this is when my problem began. Not brake boosting, but having to step on it to pull out onto highway in a very poor spot. It’s a tight corner and I have to goose it pretty hard and then get off of it to make the turn, when I put my foot back down, I have nothing. The rpm’s basically completely bottom out and then I have get power again.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I think I am having the same issue in my 2 month old 22. Temperature has been lower the last three weeks and this is when my problem began. Not brake boosting, but having to step on it to pull out onto highway in a very poor spot. It’s a tight corner and I have to goose it pretty hard and then get off of it to make the turn, when I put my foot back down, I have nothing. The rpm’s basically completely bottom out and then I have get power again.
Are you tuned?

Reactions
Yours sounds more like a "dead pedal" mentioned in the thread below rather than the problem happening in this thread.

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/response-delay-when-smashing-the-accelerator.3835/#post-49389

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I know this is an old thread but it's what I came up with searching and it seems relevant to what happened to me. I'm seeing two different senarios here. Some are saying the engine revs and bounces off the limiter while others are saying they lose power for a bit and then it comes back in. I am experiencing the second. I give it full throttle from a standing position and when it goes to shift from 2nd it just dies! I have had no issue with "Revision 1 or 2" but when I loaded this last revision, it started. I was launching from a standing start (no brake boost) and it happened three times in a row. Twice in Sport mode (Race) and once in Normal mode (Performance). I put the stock tune back in and it's fine. What I'm worried about is that I had the transmission done while the vehicle was in for other repairs (see my post in 4WD Faults) and I'm wondering if they put the right amount of fluid back in! I've emailed Adam and will try Revision 2 again while datalogging. Did anyone ever come up with a reason or a solution?

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
What do you mean by "Having the transmission done" ?

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I know this is an old thread but it's what I came up with searching and it seems relevant to what happened to me. I'm seeing two different senarios here. Some are saying the engine revs and bounces off the limiter while others are saying they lose power for a bit and then it comes back in. I am experiencing the second. I give it full throttle from a standing position and when it goes to shift from 2nd it just dies! I have had no issue with "Revision 1 or 2" but when I loaded this last revision, it started. I was launching from a standing start (no brake boost) and it happened three times in a row. Twice in Sport mode (Race) and once in Normal mode (Performance). I put the stock tune back in and it's fine. What I'm worried about is that I had the transmission done while the vehicle was in for other repairs (see my post in 4WD Faults) and I'm wondering if they put the right amount of fluid back in! I've emailed Adam and will try Revision 2 again while datalogging. Did anyone ever come up with a reason or a solution?
Hmmm? Sounds like you’re hitting the rev limiter or Load/Torque limit.

Reactions
Vehicle
What do you mean by "Having the transmission done" ?
I had Ford service the transmission. Whatever that entails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
Hmmm? Sounds like you’re hitting the rev limiter or Load/Torque limit.
It’s not revving up, the engine drops RPM’s and it falls on its face. Then it picks up again. Sounds like what others are describing as the torque limiter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheWombat

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
This just happened to me today. My 2020 is jdm tuned with intake; intercooler and downpipes.. Made a hit from a dig and it did perfect. Turned around to hit one more and it bounces off the rev limiter on the 1-2 shift. Anybody ever figure it out??

Reactions
We still experience this from time to time with my ST but not my husbands, both 2022's tuned by LMS. We did take it into the dealer and they flashed the processor and changed the trans fluid but could find nothing wrong. My car has been running great and we had less issues in the summer with the shifting in the warmer weather. We went drag racing several time over the summer doing some launches at about 1500 rpm and had no shifting issues and both cars running low 12's, we met a few ST owners trying to find out what the issue could be but no real fixes or explanations. We love our ST's and will continue to have fun with them regardless of a few shifting issues. We are here to have fun and share our experience's with our ST's, thanks to all who love and share about there ST's..

Reactions
Vehicle
So there is no solution for this issue I take it? My ST is going back in for the third time to get the 4WD faults taken care of and they are going to check the transmission while they have it. I got the feeling they are not going to find anything wrong! :( I'm going to ask the service manager to take a ride with me so he can see first hand what's going on.