Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

H&R Spring variance.

Reactions
Does anyone else feel their H&R springs aren’t the same as far as ride hight ? I had H&R’s on our 20 ST but don’t feel as though our new 22 is setting as low as the 20 did. Also I don’t remember the rear coils having the 3 mid coils actually touching each other at rest? Any thoughts? Thanks! Jim

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I have their first run springs on my 20 and the middle coils in the rear are definitely coil bound.
I’ll have Lethals new springs soon which are supposed to be a hair shorter than H&R’s.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Anyone bottoming out the rear when hauling a a full load of passengers on H&R's?

OP
STJIM
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Thanks! Have u given any thought to those FV coil overs? Can’t get them to call back. I guess that should tell me something
I have their first run springs on my 20 and the middle coils in the rear are definitely coil bound.
I’ll have Lethals new springs soon which are supposed to be a hair shorter than H&R’s.
Aren’t we getting close on rear camber adjustment if we go much lower on rears?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Both the FV and Graveyard Performance coilovers are the exact same parts…BC Racing in Taiwan is who actually makes them.
I haven’t seen anyone post alignment specs after using those coilovers so I’m not sure when alignment is gonna become an issue. It should be fine with Lethals new coils at least.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Both the FV and Graveyard Performance coilovers are the exact same parts…BC Racing in Taiwan is who actually makes them.
I haven’t seen anyone post alignment specs after using those coilovers so I’m not sure when alignment is gonna become an issue. It should be fine with Lethals new coils at least.
Do you know when Lethal is going to release their coils? Been holding out on buying springs as I'm trying to figure out if it will bottom out if I load up full of people.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Soon is all I’ve heard.

OP
STJIM
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
I guess what I’m saying is even with the H&R’s when I went in for alignment the best they could get it was was -05 which is fine but even if we go with leathals a bit lower where we going to be at with the rear camber?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I guess what I’m saying is even with the H&R’s when I went in for alignment the best they could get it was was -05 which is fine but even if we go with leathals a bit lower where we going to be at with the rear camber?
Mine is set at -.5° with enough slack left to push it into positive camber. I don’t know what -05 means to be honest…is that a typo?

OP
STJIM
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Mine is set at -.5° with enough slack left to push it into positive camber. I don’t know what -05 means to be honest…is that a typo?

Fat fingers! Knew you would know where I was at. Lol

Wholdy

Reactions
Do you know when Lethal is going to release their coils? Been holding out on buying springs as I'm trying to figure out if it will bottom out if I load up full of people.
In a reply to my YouTube comment, they said should be up on their site for order within a week. That was 2 days ago

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
In a reply to my YouTube comment, they said should be up on their site for order within a week. That was 2 days ago
oh damn already! I just got the regular springs and was waiting to see how people liked the Coil overs. If Lethal has a new lower spring coming this week or soon I think I will have to wait and see that option.
Thanks for info.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
They’re hoping for delivery to them next week.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Below is a chat I just had with Matt @Lethal.
Matt
Hey, Shawn. I don't have pricing aligned just yet, but I would imagine it will be competitive with H&R.

We are still waiting on the final production set to be sent to us so I can test fit it on my car. We have the specs that we were shooting for, but I want to make sure it's all accurate before we release anything.
Matt
We hoped to have them by now, but don't think it'll be too much longer.
Shawn
Ok. Sounds like a couple weeks?
Matt
I'm hoping before then. They were supposed to be finished on 7/29, then 8/4. I'm hoping 2-3 to receive and then to start sending them out.
Matt
It SHOULD be a little lower than what H&R offers
Shawn
Ok. Will you be testing it with a carload of people to make sure it doesn't bottom out?
Shawn
That is my biggest concern. Want it low but still want to fill all the seats.
Matt
We backed off from what we originally wanted because of this. We expect it to still be OK fully loaded.
Shawn
Eaxctly what I was looking for.
Matt
I packed the car full to see where it would sit and took that measurement and then backed off about 1/2"
Shawn
Want to still be able to load it up with people.
Shawn
I'm am interested in buying a set when you release them.
Shawn
What color will you coat them with?
Matt
It's a light Grey
Shawn
Ok. Thanks for your help today Matt.
Matt
No problem at all. If you need anything else, please let us know.

Once we get solid information on the springs we'll get everything out there so just stay tuned, but hopefully not much longer.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
3 of us will be testing them…Matt is one of them.

Reactions
2" all round? that's all I would really want for the daily.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Don’t really know yet. They were after a bit lower than H&R and all the math was done but until we get some on a few cars we really won’t know.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
One thing I noticed is the H&R's on our 2018 XLT 2.3L Ecoboost were much stiffer and the handling was more responsive, the H&R's on our 2021 seem softer and less responsive. It's perfect for us though, it's mostly used for running errands and roadtrips so I'm not complaining. Just an observation and it could be becaiuse the 2018 was lighter, but I expected similar results with the same brand of springs.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
One thing I noticed is the H&R's on our 2018 XLT 2.3L Ecoboost were much stiffer and the handling was more responsive, the H&R's on our 2021 seem softer and less responsive. It's perfect for us though, it's mostly used for running errands and roadtrips so I'm not complaining. Just an observation and it could be becaiuse the 2018 was lighter, but expected similar results with the same brand of springs.
Where at in Sacramento? We have same ST id like to see it with HR springs. I have the Steeda springs in the box I was waiting to see the coil over reviews but now the new lower Lethal springs might be a perfect fit for me who knows but I am tired of it being stock height looks so much better lower.

Would you say the HR spring are on par with the stock springs as far as stiffness? where did you have yours installed at? sorry for all the questions.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
Where at in Sacramento? We have same ST id like to see it with HR springs. I have the Steeda springs in the box I was waiting to see the coil over reviews but now the new lower Lethal springs might be a perfect fit for me who knows but I am tired of it being stock height looks so much better lower.

Would you say the HR spring are on par with the stock springs as far as stiffness? where did you have yours installed at? sorry for all the questions.
No worries, I'm in South Sac and am usually in Elk Grove since I work down there. The H&R's are only a little stiffer than stock but you notice it more when you hit larger bumps or potholes, but I think it's how it should ride from the factory. I installed the springs myself, but I'm an ASE Master Tech so I have all the tools at home. For our Explorer I probably won't go any lower since the wife drives it about 60% of the time and she wouldn't support me taking it to the track lol!. But I'm ok with the way it rides for a daily driver. Share your email and I'll send some pics if you like.