Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Guidance please. Sun Roof Track Replacement

Reactions
Hi. Had another thread regarding the sunroof shade and full closure. Folks responded that mine did not seem to be closing completely. Took to Ford Dealer that I like today. They reported that a cable snapped which pulls the shade closed and is part of the entire sunroof track system. Meaning, according to them, that the entire sunroof track needs to be replaced. They report that this is a big job, and honestly, they could not handle it. Recommended that I find a dealer that has a body shop (they do not) as most of the interior (seats and stuff) needs to be removed to get at the track and replace. They were concerned that more damage would be done because they do not have the body work expertise.

Question: Wonder if I should get it fixed at all?

It’s all warranty so not worried about cost, time. Just thinking i might be chasing leaks, rattles and such. I had a Tundra once that needed an under dash motor replaced. Would mean pulling the entire dash. Heard horrible stories about chasing squeaks so decided to live with the noise.

Thoughts?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Sorry about your problem. I've had similar problems in the past and will never do a sunroof again.

OP
Bryantbjb
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Any other thoughts?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
None of us can tell you whether or not you should have it fixed. I for one would make sure I got it fixed while under warranty. Wouldn't give it a second thought. Drive it while they collect the parts so they have your car the least amount of time as is possible.

OP
Bryantbjb
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Thanks. Good point. Guess I was either looking for some horror stories, or someone having gone through this saying not so bad. On a side note, the roof got stuck open and it took several times to finally get it closed. Now it hardly opens. Apt at dealer for Friday.

Reactions
Doesn’t surprise me to hear how extensive the repair is. I replaced the sunroof in my FX4 F150 and I literally took out the headliner, A/B/C pillars, and seats to do it. Wasn’t difficult, just a lot of time.

hbalek

Reactions
Doesn’t surprise me to hear how extensive the repair is. I replaced the sunroof in my FX4 F150 and I literally took out the headliner, A/B/C pillars, and seats to do it. Wasn’t difficult, just a lot of time.
My 2013 MKZ Panoramic roof made a noise. It took over 40 days to repair it by an outside shop who specialized in roofs. They had to take photos and send them to Ford before they could get replacement parts under a warranty claim. It probably sat for about 2 weeks before any work was done on it.

OP
Bryantbjb
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
My 2013 MKZ Panoramic roof made a noise. It took over 40 days to repair it by an outside shop who specialized in roofs. They had to take photos and send them to Ford before they could get replacement parts under a warranty claim. It probably sat for about 2 weeks before any work was done on it.
Wow!