Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Guardian’s 23 ST Build

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Very sharp.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Until you get a better intercooler installed, try doing your 0-60 runs while the engine is cooler, before the heat soak sets in.

OP
Guardian
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 explorer st
Thread Starter #24
Full profile in the sunlight. Looks so much sportier with the Steeda springs and 22” BC Forged wheels.
23CCF9FF-F042-4E57-A7E5-EFBD8241E191.jpeg

OP
Guardian
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 explorer st
Thread Starter #25
Until you get a better intercooler installed, try doing your 0-60 runs while the engine is cooler, before the heat soak sets in.
Unfortunately I didn’t have time. Had these performance mods done right after those runs above:
- Whipple IC
- AFE CAI
- Lighter wheels
- Corsa exhaust
No tune yet though. Apparently Ford Performance calibration doesn’t work on 2023 STs yet. They said it should be out in the next few months. My best 0-60mph so far with just those mods is 5.27. I’m disappointed that with the cooler engine plus those mods I’ve only shaved .25 seconds off that time in the exact same place with similar conditions, though it was probably more humid. Maybe she needs some time to break in with them? We’ll see.
7E478325-C875-434A-9DBE-2B1D098F6A29.jpeg

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Unfortunately, the I/C is one of those mods that does not gain you much with out a tune. It basically allows you to run higher boost levels with out having to worry about heat soak. Since you're running the stock tune you also have stock boost levels. Get a good tune and hold on tight. With just a tune and an I/C I ran a 12.09@112.30 and a 3.75 0-60. I also had an E30 mix in the tank.

OP
Guardian
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 explorer st
Thread Starter #27
Unfortunately, the I/C is one of those mods that does not gain you much with out a tune. It basically allows you to run higher boost levels with out having to worry about heat soak. Since you're running the stock tune you also have stock boost levels. Get a good tune and hold on tight. With just a tune and an I/C I ran a 12.09@112.30 and a 3.75 0-60. I also had an E30 mix in the tank.
That is crazy fast! ZFG tune?

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Yep. A 93 performance tune

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I just hit 21K and about 10K of that has-been tuned

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I should mention, the ST's will run E30 from the factory. Most vehicles from around 2015 on will run E30 from the factory. You won't gain much if anything from the factory tune on E30. You will need a tune to take advantage of E30. The show engine masters did a test on various forms of intercooling and concluded that ethanol is the best intercooler you can get, that's why boosted engines like our twin turbo v-6 works so well with E30, E50, or even E85. Some tuners charge extra for an E30 tune or E30 capabilities built into the tune, ZFG does not. All of his tunes that are not E50 or E85 specific have the tune optimized to take advantage of E30. The tune will self adjust for any mix of ethanol from E0 to E30 or anywhere in between. You can get an E50 tune, but then you must run E40 to E60 all the time with that tune. The E50 is for max performance on the factory DI fuel pump and injectors as the factory pump can not supply enough fuel to go any higher in ethanol concentration. Once you upgrade the pump and injectors, you can get an E85 tune and those are for E70 and higher and you must maintain that concentration with that tune.

I run a 93 tune so I can throw a little ethanol in the tank and have some fun when I want to, then just run 93 the rest of the time. In my area the 93 has 10% ethanol and the E85 is actually E73-74 so with a 20 gallon tank I put in 6 gallons of E85 and then fill the tank with 93 and that gets me real close to E30.

Screenshot 3.75 0-60 dragy.jpg Screenshot 12.09 dragy.jpg

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I tried a few weeks ago to get a better run with temps in the mid 20's but I had traction issues with the factory 20's and only managed a 12.30. Tires like warmer temps for better traction, but engines like cooler temps and tend to make more power so it's a balancing act. Cool enough air to make more power for a faster run, but warm enough to not lose traction at launch.

OP
Guardian
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 explorer st
Thread Starter #33
I should mention, the ST's will run E30 from the factory. Most vehicles from around 2015 on will run E30 from the factory. You won't gain much if anything from the factory tune on E30. You will need a tune to take advantage of E30. The show engine masters did a test on various forms of intercooling and concluded that ethanol is the best intercooler you can get, that's why boosted engines like our twin turbo v-6 works so well with E30, E50, or even E85. Some tuners charge extra for an E30 tune or E30 capabilities built into the tune, ZFG does not. All of his tunes that are not E50 or E85 specific have the tune optimized to take advantage of E30. The tune will self adjust for any mix of ethanol from E0 to E30 or anywhere in between. You can get an E50 tune, but then you must run E40 to E60 all the time with that tune. The E50 is for max performance on the factory DI fuel pump and injectors as the factory pump can not supply enough fuel to go any higher in ethanol concentration. Once you upgrade the pump and injectors, you can get an E85 tune and those are for E70 and higher and you must maintain that concentration with that tune.

I run a 93 tune so I can throw a little ethanol in the tank and have some fun when I want to, then just run 93 the rest of the time. In my area the 93 has 10% ethanol and the E85 is actually E73-74 so with a 20 gallon tank I put in 6 gallons of E85 and then fill the tank with 93 and that gets me real close to E30.

View attachment 16713 View attachment 16714
This is super helpful, thank you. I definitely plan to get a ZFG tune after my warranty runs out. It’s shocking how fast these big things can be without much work.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I've embarrassed my fair share of 5.0 mustangs, SS Camaros and 392 challengers with my ST. They automatically assume that a big SUV is going to be slow as a pig. The average driver out there sees just another soccer mom SUV and they can't tell an XLT from ST, not to mention they have no clue what an ST is capable of.

Last edited:
OP
Guardian
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 explorer st
Thread Starter #35
I've embarrassed my fair share of 5.0 mustangs, SS Camaros and 392 challengers with my ST. They automatically assume that a big SUV is going to be slow as a pig. The average driver out there sees just another soccer mom SUV and they can't tell an XLT from ST, not to mention they have no clue what an ST is capable of.
Haha! I love it!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Just ordered these from Emblem City. Will look a lot better than the stock emblems.
View attachment 16489
Those look great. I'm with @UNBROKEN on the comment about finding stuff now. I paid $350 on Etsy 3 years ago to get mine. They have held up really well, but I know where i can get new ones when they don't. So thanks for that!

OP
Guardian
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 explorer st
Thread Starter #38
How bad were these to install? I just got mine in the mail
I actually just had the guys at Steeda install them because they were already doing a lot of work and had the front bumper off, which is the most time intensive part. The rear emblem only took about 10 minutes.

Explorer ST Posts