Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Going from the Explorer Sport to an ST, was it a big difference?

BIG ACH

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer Sport
For those of you who went from the last generation Explorer Sport to an ST? Was it a noticeable difference? Was it worth it?

I'm interested in hearing from those who made this jump.... I have a 2019 explorer sport with about 50k on the clock... Nothing is wrong with it, it's actually pretty great... But I'm tempted to upgrade to an ST and wondering if its really worth it?

I'll probably go test drive one when I go in for my next service appointment. But just curious what you all think.

Thanks!

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The ST is better in every way. There’s no comparison at all to the 5th Gen.

Reactions
We got ancy and almost got a 2016 explorer sport but after driving both the difference in the two vehicles was night and day. Best bet is as Njd said "Text and drive before you buy"

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I went from the 5th Gen to the ST and I wonder why I waited as long as I did. The fit and finish (contrary to what some might say) is far and away better on the ST. Closing the door on the 5th Gen is so tin can like over the ST solid clump when closing the door. I had a tune on my 5th gen and it was pretty quick but the rear wheel bias on the ST is so much more satifying over the 5th Gen. only thing i would say I liked better about the 5th was the infotainment center, physical E-brake and shifter - the wheel is annoying af.

Reactions
The ST is better in every way. There’s no comparison at all to the 5th Gen.
Except for the stock stereo on both, the Sport had the better stereo and better camera layout due to the screen.

Obviously the stereo doesnt matter in your case anymore lol

Ricky

Reactions
Had a 2013. Was a great ride and a lot of fun. Never any issues with it. Had the CAI, Thermostat, Colder plugs, Down pipes, cat-back and Tune. Like others have said the 2020 is next level and modified is that much more fun! Miss the old one but glad we went with the 2020.

2013 Explorer Sport.jpeg

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I had an 18 sport, good vehicle but I never planned to keep it. It was a stop gap until I could get an ST. If your tall at around 6' or more get the ST, you won't regret it. The old 5th gen explorers were fwd based and had that tell tale hump in the footwell leaving the driver with no place to put your left foot. The 6th gen went to a rwd platform and the wheelbase grew by 6" and it all went into the front, eliminating that hump. The 6th gen is much more comfortable to drive long distances for us taller folks.