Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Gas tank size

Mikewst

Reactions
Looking to buy my new explore st. Everywhere I look it states that the fuel tank on the 2020 is 3 gallons larger than on the 2021 is that correct?
I was waiting for a 2021 until I saw information. Thanks for any updates.

Last edited:
Reactions
It looks like it's 1.6 gallons smaller in the 2021. 2020 - 21.8 gal 2021 - 20.2. Would love to know why the decrease. The none ST versions have smaller tanks 17.9 gal

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
My 2020 ST has a 20.2 gallon tank.

Taz

Reactions
I always wondered about this myself. My ST is a 8-2020 and I'm supposed to have a 21.8 gal fuel tank. Once I was super busy where I did not have time to stop for gas, so when I was able to, my dash read out said I had about 8 miles to empty. I filled tank but it only took 17.9 gal to fill. Maybe there is a substantial reserve but I never was able to figure that one out.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I always wondered about this myself. My ST is a 8-2020 and I'm supposed to have a 21.8 gal fuel tank. Once I was super busy where I did not have time to stop for gas, so when I was able to, my dash read out said I had about 8 miles to empty. I filled tank but it only took 17.9 gal to fill. Maybe there is a substantial reserve but I never was able to figure that one out.
I would get the same confusing results in my old explorer (2017). I constantly ran that one down to 1-5 miles of empty and the amounts it would take to fill it always varied by 1-2 gallons. Sometimes 18 gallons and sometimes 16 gallons. Could never figure that out. I wonder if the gas pumps have anything to do with it?

Nhdataguy

Reactions
I was on 0 miles and had to travel 13 miles with the sled trailer...
Nail biter as it was not in cell range for 10 of those...
Filled it up and it took 20.59 gallons...

Taz

Reactions
I was on 0 miles and had to travel 13 miles with the sled trailer...
Nail biter as it was not in cell range for 10 of those...
Filled it up and it took 20.59 gallons...
Well, I guess there is at least a gallon reserve on these tanks. That's good to know. You must have had a spoonfull of gas left when you made it in.

Nhdataguy

Reactions
I usually carry a 5 gal can of gas in the trailer, but it was last run of the season and wanted to go low. I would have run it dry to calculate...
FWIW.. towed the trailer fine... It’s only 3k but didn’t notice it on back a5vall...