Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Gas mileage

Jsterz23

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ford explorer ST
Hello all! So I have a dilemma. I’ve noticed I’m getting terrible MPG and I put premium in every time. I mainly drive in the city, not zooming around (unless I need to lol)! I filled up today, about 20 gallons and it said on the dash 184 miles to empty! My mind is blown by this because I was getting good MPG buttttt not anymore. Anyone else have this issue?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Hand calculate…never trust the dash.

OP
J

Jsterz23

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ford explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Hand calculate…never trust the dash.
I did and it came out to 10 MPG! It’s insane.. I’ve gotta take it in.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Mine gets 18-19 pulling my trailer, 20-22 normal (87), 24-25 on trips (93) BTW, NEVER let it get so it takes 20 gallons to fill it. Fill it at 1/4 tank. Fuel pumps are expensive.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
my comute to work is about 11miles on the highway. I get around 16-17mpg according to the dash. I do drive that 11miles at like 80-85mph.

DHollis

Reactions
2020 56,000 miles. Local 18 mpg. Trip 24/25 mpg 70-80 mph

OP
J

Jsterz23

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ford explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Mine gets 18-19 pulling my trailer, 20-22 normal (87), 24-25 on trips (93) BTW, NEVER let it get so it takes 20 gallons to fill it. Fill it at 1/4 tank. Fuel pumps are expensive.
It wasn’t on empty, but it sucked down 20 gallons. It’s brand new! It was doing pretty good on fuel, then I noticed vibration while idling to the point of it feeling like it’s gonna stall. I’ve been meaning to take it in, and now I will.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
It wasn’t on empty, but it sucked down 20 gallons. It’s brand new! It was doing pretty good on fuel, then I noticed vibration while idling to the point of it feeling like it’s gonna stall. I’ve been meaning to take it in, and now I will.
Ford quotes the fuel capacity at 20.2 gallons. So, if you really pumped in 20 gallons, it was completely empty. Something is very wrong.

OP
J

Jsterz23

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ford explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
I’m telling
Ford quotes the fuel capacity at 20.2 gallons. So, if you really pumped in 20 gallons, it was completely empty. Something is very wrong.
I’m telling you something is very wrong. Also, I’ve notice like a foul odor, not to be TMI but kinda like a fart, sulfur or eggs after I’ve done a few errands. Something is off for sure

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I put 20.5 gallons in mine one day when I got caught without a station in the middle of the desert.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Interestingly, C&D shows it as 21.4 gallons. I suspect they measured it from bone-dry and included the filler neck.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
That's normal, although not the best scenario. It's the evaporative emissions system indicating it isn't happy. My ST and the Mustang do the same thing. I know no other way to gauge fuel mileage, though. You can't count on pump cut-off to be accurate enough to track fuel mileage.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I put 20.5 gallons in mine one day when I got caught without a station in the middle of the desert.
Funny story: I had an '88 Chevy 1500 pickup with the extended tank. Claimed capacity was 36 gallons. It literally sputtered to a stop at the pump on the way home after a long day. It took 37.3 gallons of motion-lotion to fill it back up. That same truck went from Binghamton, NY to Statesville, NC (over 700 miles) on one tank. It was truly a POS, but it rode great, was fast and got very good mileage on the highway (2.73 rear axle).

Reactions
I ballpark right around the 20mpg mark doing probably 80% highway driving with occasional asshole-ish driving tendencies. 87 octane.

Reactions
Interestingly, C&D shows it as 21.4 gallons. I suspect they measured it from bone-dry and included the filler neck.
They actually have it as 21.8

Whats interesting, that was the original number when the 2020 Explorer's were released only to change it to 20.2 which matched the 2021/22 Explorer's, so a bit weird.

There's about 1/3 of a gallon left on the fuel line's, pump, etc.
Still wouldnt recommend to let it go past 18 gallons, bad for fuel pump

Far as OP, the issue could be your right foot lol I drive in LA city all week, plenty of stop and go. City avg for me is 15-16, usually get around 240 miles on 16 gallons, computer is always off by 1-2 MPG in city driving but very accurate on 90% hwy driving.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
With my wife in the car, I get great MPGs. Weird.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
They actually have it as 21.8

Whats interesting, that was the original number when the 2020 Explorer's were released only to change it to 20.2 which matched the 2021/22 Explorer's, so a bit weird.

There's about 1/3 of a gallon left on the fuel line's, pump, etc.
Still wouldnt recommend to let it go past 18 gallons, bad for fuel pump

Far as OP, the issue could be your left foot lol I drive in LA city all week, plenty of stop and go. City avg for me is 15-16, usually get around 240 miles on 16 gallons, computer is always off by 1-2 MPG in city driving but very accurate on 90% hwy driving.
Left foot? OP, are you riding the brake?

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Left foot? OP, are you riding the brake?
I was thinking the same. Some brake with their left foot which really makes me nervous. Also, how about a sticking caliper?