Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Fuel Type

Reactions
Performance and fuel economy can be influenced numerous ways.

I keep a maximum of 1.2 gallons of fuel in the ST. Yes, I must fill up very frequently but I’ve cut 120 pounds off the weight of the vehicle (compared with filling the tank). Doing so, I enjoy the same performance and mileage while using 87 octane. :cool:
Boosted vehicles don't like low fuel in the tank. You could be putting your self in situation where you will be burning up your fuel pumps or starving the vehicle for lack of fuel.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
...I keep a maximum of 1.2 gallons of fuel in the ST...
[dunno][dunno][dunno] I got nothing. Sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Your theory is not without merit. Less weight, does mean better performance and MPG.

But is the station within your regular route of travel? If it isn’t then the extra trips to fill up are probably negating any advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In order to get the most benefit (while not running out of fuel with only one gallon onboard), I only drive back and forth between home and the gas station. :cool:

LokiWolf

Reactions
In order to get the most benefit (while not running out of fuel with only one gallon onboard), I only drive back and forth between home and the gas station. :cool:
Amazing idea, I love it. Starting the process today!

So is the Station like exactly 18 miles combined back and forth? If less, you will eventually fill your tank, if mire you will run out on 2nd trip?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Amazing idea, I love it. Starting the process today!

So is the Station like exactly 18 miles combined back and forth? If less, you will eventually fill your tank, if mire you will run out on 2nd trip?

It’s a little more so I had some issues in the beginning.

Then, I studied Google Maps and managed to find different routes going and returning. It adds a bit to the trip but, it’s downhill both ways so I get very good gas mileage.

Reactions
It’s a little more so I had some issues in the beginning.

Then, I studied Google Maps and managed to find different routes going and returning. It adds a bit to the trip but, it’s downhill both ways so I get very good gas mileage.
Right I see your thinking. If your fuel pump is weaker it just uses less gas as well so even better mpgs.