Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Fuel Type

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I use 87 because I’m cheap, don’t tow and the last few HP aren’t worth the extra cost to me. For sure, I’m in the minority here.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I use 87 because I’m cheap, don’t tow and the last few HP aren’t worth the extra cost to me. For sure, I’m in the minority here.
The wife is the primary driver of our Explorer. She could care less about performance. With 93 octane premium @ 3.30 / gallon, I'm using 87 octane in both vehicles. They run fine.

LokiWolf

Reactions
Bottom line. It will work on 87, because it detunes for the lower Octane.

Want the best performance and MPG use 93.

Entertained by those that bought a 60K vehicle but a difference of $10 a week in their fill-up is a deal breaker…drink 1 less Starbucks people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
No tuning upgrades but still put the 93 in the ST. Costco down in S. FL carries the 93 it is also a Top Tier gas. For a few extra dollars per tank fill piece of mind I am feeding the ST from the top shelve.

Razorback007

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Infinite Blue

Want the best performance and MPG use 93.

Entertained by those that bought a 60K vehicle but a difference of $10 a week in their fill-up is a deal breaker…drink 1 less Starbucks people.

Excellent Response! Why did everyone on this forum buy an ST ? Performance !!!
Otherwise, you would be just as happy putting along in a 2.3 L anemic Explorer…
Yes, 93 is going to cost a bit more, but for those times when you need to stand up on your hind legs and be a vapor trail, (and I quote from the movie, The Blues Brothers,
”Holy Mother of Plastic Acceleration Don’t Fail Me Now !!!”) you’ll be glad the proper petro in in your tank.

Reactions
Ford should put this stuff in the owners manual...

Fuel.jpg

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
It’s true, the $10 per week savings is important to me. I put those $10 in a dedicated envelope.

In another 115 years, I will have saved enough to buy another SL. :geek:

LokiWolf

Reactions
It’s true, the $10 per week savings is important to me. I put those $10 in a dedicated envelope.

In another 115 years, I will have saved enough to buy another SL. :geek:

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Entertained by those that bought a 60K vehicle but a difference of $10 a week in their fill-up is a deal breaker.
I'm no tight wad, but that $10 x 2 vehicles is $80 per month. Thats pretty much a grand a year. :) To each their own.

Reactions
16k miles so far and only use a Top Tier 87. No performance issues, I can go as fast as I need with no issues. Using 87 is not a matter of saving $$, it's a matter of not wasting $$. If you feel that you're doing "better" for the engine by using a higher octane, go for it. But, it is Not necessary. It really isn't. Really, for real!

LokiWolf

Reactions
16k miles so far and only use a Top Tier 87. No performance issues, I can go as fast as I need with no issues. Using 87 is not a matter of saving $$, it's a matter of not wasting $$. If you feel that you're doing "better" for the engine by using a higher octane, go for it. But, it is Not necessary. It really isn't. Really, for real!
HaHaHa. You paid for a 400HP suv, if you are running 87…you aren’t getting 400HP. Period. That is just simply a fact.

The rated power/MPG is rated based on a Testing standard. That standard uses a 92 Octane fuel(notice I did not say Gas, because it isn’t). So in reality if you are running 93 Octane premium you might even be getting over the rated HP at the crank.

Octane matters, ESPECIALLY in vehicles equipped with Turbos. If you live in a warmer climate that Octane matters to even more, and increases the temp at which the system will start pulling power, because it will resist knock longer.

If you were running a NA V8 like the old 5.4 Triton, on factory tuning 87 vs 93 made negligible differences. On a modern EcoBoost it is good for around 15HP, so VERY different.

Running premium in this platform is not a waste. It nets you more power and better MPG’s.

Reactions
HaHaHa. You paid for a 400HP suv, if you are running 87…you aren’t getting 400HP. Period. That is just simply a fact.

The rated power/MPG is rated based on a Testing standard. That standard uses a 92 Octane fuel(notice I did not say Gas, because it isn’t). So in reality if you are running 93 Octane premium you might even be getting over the rated HP at the crank.

Octane matters, ESPECIALLY in vehicles equipped with Turbos. If you live in a warmer climate that Octane matters to even more, and increases the temp at which the system will start pulling power, because it will resist knock longer.

If you were running a NA V8 like the old 5.4 Triton, on factory tuning 87 vs 93 made negligible differences. On a modern EcoBoost it is good for around 15HP, so VERY different.

Running premium in this platform is not a waste. It nets you more power and better MPG’s.

I don't ever boil it down to a science when I fill up and MPG exact differences... but from switching from running 87 to 93 (not even sure if its a top tier gas but its the priciest around me so I'm assuming it is) I have definitely seen my MPG jump... before i was in the mids 16s and now im sitting at 17.5/17.6.

I do a lot of short local drives hence the lower MPG to begin with.

So not filling the tank AS much definitely offsets the slightly higher cost when I do have to fill it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Performance and fuel economy can be influenced numerous ways.

I keep a maximum of 1.2 gallons of fuel in the ST. Yes, I must fill up very frequently but I’ve cut 120 pounds off the weight of the vehicle (compared with filling the tank). Doing so, I enjoy the same performance and mileage while using 87 octane. :cool:

LokiWolf

Reactions
Performance and fuel economy can be influenced numerous ways.

I keep a maximum of 1.2 gallons of fuel in the ST. Yes, I must fill up very frequently but I’ve cut 120 pounds off the weight of the vehicle (compared with filling the tank). Doing so, I enjoy the same performance and mileage while using 87 octane. :cool:
Your theory is not without merit. Less weight, does mean better performance and MPG.

But is the station within your regular route of travel? If it isn’t then the extra trips to fill up are probably negating any advantage.

Reactions
Last I checked our local Costco was anywhere from 10 cents to 15 cents more for premium. At that point it'll break even or even be cheaper because there is a potential for a mpg increase.