Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Fuel octane?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks for that table. How can you use an average when a third of the states (16) have 91 maximum? If I live in one of those 16, your "average" is meaningless.
You were given an "out" so that you could stop embarrassing yourself. But, NO, you just have to "double down" on how stupid you sound. You are a hopeless troll.

Reactions
Mike is "5 star" a tune? I suppose it must be if you mention transmissions?

I've used water-methanol injection to cool cylinder heads and permit much higher manifold pressures and of course dragsters use an alcohol but I am going back to the drawing board (Wikipedia?) to do more research on alcohol.

Reactions
My question to the group:

Why does everyone keep engaging with individuals that do not want your advice? They say they want your advice/opinion, but they don't mean it. So just stop arguing with them. Just ignore them. Go on about your business and enjoy your real interests. Cheers.
Some individuals just know how to push the right buttons, and some just can’t help themselves. I have read more fights on here than the other civic forum I am on. Lot of big personalities going on. Oh well.

Dad_Mobile

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Isn’t it nice Ford gives the options to run different fuel types and has the ability to retard the timing with knock sensors? It’s wild how responsive they are to tuning and octane, like all cars. My SHO is tuned for E40 and gets an average of 17.5 mpg. It also has a 93 tune that can run different fuel types and adjust the timing accordingly.

The easiest way to get around low octane with no access to E-85 would be methanol. Between E85 and Methanol everybody has a chance to increase the power of a stock eco boost engine easily.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Isn’t it nice Ford gives the options to run different fuel types and has the ability to retard the timing with knock sensors? It’s wild how responsive they are to tuning and octane, like all cars.
It's termed OAR (octane adjustable ratio) and yeah it knows the fuel. I think this became a feature when the Ecoboost was introduced.

Last edited:
Reactions
Some individuals just know how to push the right buttons, and some just can’t help themselves. I have read more fights on here than the other civic forum I am on. Lot of big personalities going on. Oh well.
Hi,

I understand. There are a lot of strong personalities present.

Have a good one,

Ron

Reactions
Big Turk- Because it IS a group forum. Why should one deluded and angry person get to disrupt every thread they enter without consequence?
Hi,

I am not suggesting to leave the discussion completely, but you can just stop engaging the problem child and they will go away and sulk. That will leave everyone time to help folks that will accept reasonable advice.

Cheers,

Ron

Danzig

Reactions
Xsbank, have you tried diesel yet? Maybe Kerosene? If nothing else it might put you out of your misery.

LokiWolf

Reactions
Thanks for that table. How can you use an average when a third of the states (16) have 91 maximum? If I live in one of those 16, your "average" is meaningless.
You COMPLETELY ignored that 24 of them are 93, and 4 are 92. SO 28 of 43 that publish a State Standard are 92 or higher.

The AVERAGE makes complete and total sense. Man you are dense. Again, go put your stock ST on a Dyno, with 91(E10) in the tank, and do the average calculation on loss, and I would bet you are at 400HP at the crank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
I did ignore all that because its meaningless.

Reactions
Tbh, It was meant to be a horribly bad pun to reflect the amount of dipshittery™ you have brought to this thread.

Reactions
You don't see the irony in that, do you?

Reactions
I just finished burning off my first tank of whatever the dealer gave me on delivery. Our PetroCanada stations offer 94 octane with 10% ethanol IIRC so going to give that a go and see how the butt dyno responds.

Still considering a tune as well but just started a new lease so may want until warranty is up and if i have decided to buy out the lease.

Dad_Mobile

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
If want to keep it run 94. Any twin-turbo will benefit from extra octane with the benefits being less carbon build up better mpg, more powah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Reactions
If want to keep it run 94. Any twin-turbo will benefit from extra octane with the benefits being less carbon build up better mpg, more powah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Higher Octane does not change Carbon buildup, quality of the fuel, and a Catch Can will make a difference though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk