Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Front license plate options

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
My ST didn’t come with the front mounting bracket installed. Trying to avoid drilling holes into my bumper. Unfortunately live in Maryland so it’s law to have a front license plate. What have you guys done in this situation? I’ve seen mentions about using a tow hook attachment license plate mount, and other ones that attack from the bottom of the car. Any recommendations?

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Stow N Sho attaches from the bottom. The advantage of this is you could mount it in the center, or either side. Plus, you could remove it when you didn't want to run the plate. Not a whole lot out there.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
A lot of import cars use mounts that screw into the tow hook hole…if you have the threaded insert you could look into one of those.

OP
S

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Stow N Sho attaches from the bottom. The advantage of this is you could mount it in the center, or either side. Plus, you could remove it when you didn't want to run the plate. Not a whole lot out there.
Yeah that seems to be the common one. Didn’t think about just doing it in the center. Just hate drilling holes. I’ll screw something up knowing me lol

OP
S

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
A lot of import cars use mounts that screw into the tow hook hole…if you have the threaded insert you could look into one of those.
Yeah that seems like the easiest way. I’m not sure what is behind the cover on the explorer. That’d be easy if it was just the threaded hole.

Reactions
I know a lot of GM guys use those electric foldable ones that tuck up under the front bumper. Never looked into the mounting for them but cant be anything to crazy. Worth looking into.