Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Front end screeching/grinding noise - WTH is this?

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Hi there,

For about a month I've gotten this noise at slow speeds, initially while turning the wheel to the right (e.g. leaving a parking spot) It wasn't every time though. It also went away as soon as I started driving straight and up at normal speeds. It's happened a bit more, gotten louder, and also, as you'll see in the video, happens at 30+mph for a period of time. The dealer couldn't replicate it and I couldn't get it to repeat there either. There is no grease in the wheel and it doesn't grind all the time like a CV joint would if it were bad. It happens when the auto-hold is on or off. I made this video to show them and will be dropping it again. meanwhile, anywhere here have the same thing or any idea? I don't have a lift or anything to get under it and just look around myself. much appreciated!

YouTube link:

Here's another YouTube link from a separate video, in a parking lot.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Sounds like metal to metal contact of some sort. Curious to what it is....

OP
Kirk ST

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
definitely metal to metal! On a different car I once had a stone chip stuck between the rotor and the caliper and it made a pretty horrible noise. that's not what this was though. I had the lower body panels tightened up (different noise issue) and they told me there was some sort of metal pan that had gotten loose before and fell into the steering apparatus. BUT when I took it back the second time, they said that wasn't the problem. I'll get back to you later next week when I'm back home and the car is hopefully fixed for good.

Mickey3

Reactions
definitely metal to metal! On a different car I once had a stone chip stuck between the rotor and the caliper and it made a pretty horrible noise. that's not what this was though. I had the lower body panels tightened up (different noise issue) and they told me there was some sort of metal pan that had gotten loose before and fell into the steering apparatus. BUT when I took it back the second time, they said that wasn't the problem. I'll get back to you later next week when I'm back home and the car is hopefully fixed for good.
I know this post is an older one, but I’m experiencing the same screeching / grinding sound from the front end on our 20 ST during the same conditions as the OP.

Any update on what the dealer may have found?

OP
Kirk ST

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I know this post is an older one, but I’m experiencing the same screeching / grinding sound from the front end on our 20 ST during the same conditions as the OP.

Any update on what the dealer may have found?
Hey there - I actually went into my service history to find what it was and they only lazily typed in "warranty services performed" ...not super helpful! I remember the technician had a tough time identifying and isolating the noise, but when they did, it wasn't anything major. I think it was a piece of metal (maybe some flashing under the engine) which came in contact with one of the half shafts when I was turning. It was a simple fix once they found out what it was and there wasn't any damage done. I hope that helps and sorry I don't have a better service record for it.

Mickey3

Reactions
Hey there - I actually went into my service history to find what it was and they only lazily typed in "warranty services performed" ...not super helpful! I remember the technician had a tough time identifying and isolating the noise, but when they did, it wasn't anything major. I think it was a piece of metal (maybe some flashing under the engine) which came in contact with one of the half shafts when I was turning. It was a simple fix once they found out what it was and there wasn't any damage done. I hope that helps and sorry I don't have a better service record for it.
Thanks so much for replying.
Our sound matches yours exactly and it usually does it while backing out of the driveway. Hopefully ours is an easy fix too!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Sounds similar to what I was experiencing, for my ST it was the Hub Actuator for the front drivers side intermediate shaft. Crap design, they replaced last week with the new design and no more noises or issues. Before this failed the front differential had a bearing crap out, it did display a DTC but the hub actuator will not. Hope that helps