Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Forscan

KegsBdry

Reactions
If you use Forscan to disable the ‘double honk’ (for instance), can the dealer see this was changed? Would changing something small like that void the warranty?

Reactions
its a common and old wives tail that "This *insert modification here* will void your warranty.. theres actually a law in place that a dealer MUST prove what you did caused X issue/malfunction... and if they can't they have to honor the warranty.

QwikEVO

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
its a common and old wives tail that "This *insert modification here* will void your warranty.. theres actually a law in place that a dealer MUST prove what you did caused X issue/malfunction... and if they can't they have to honor the warranty.
The "law" you're referring to is the Magnuson-Moss Act.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
It is a common old wives tale that the Magnuson-Moss Act will protect them from voiding of warranty for modifications that are clearly outside of what may be considered "OE replacement parts" in design or intent. For example, if you install a tune on your car, you can pretty much kiss your powertrain warranty goodbye. If you install lowering springs on your car and your control arm breaks, forget the warranty of it. etc. etc.

Reactions
It is a common old wives tale that the Magnuson-Moss Act will protect them from voiding of warranty for modifications that are clearly outside of what may be considered "OE replacement parts" in design or intent. For example, if you install a tune on your car, you can pretty much kiss your powertrain warranty goodbye. If you install lowering springs on your car and your control arm breaks, forget the warranty of it. etc. etc.
Well yea, because if you change a tune your changing the way the engine was designed to run, also if you put lowering springs your changing the geometry of the control arm.. but if you do a tune, and your control arm breaks... they can’t say “BeCaUsE oF yOuR tUnE” etc

That’s what I was implying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I am new to Forscan and just did a couple minor changes which led to more questions.
1. Do we update the “As Built” module or the Other one? APIM As Built or just APIM?
2. When it asks me if I want to load a precious profile when I hook up the OBD, will this remove previous changes I made?
3. How do we do a complete backup of the current settings so if I mess something up I can reload it?
4. Lastly, which title is the engine noise under?

Thanks for the help. So much info out there but can’t seem to find these specific answers.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Please disregard my questions, I found all the information on the Foscan website. They have a great tutorial.

QwikEVO

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
The burden of proof is on the dealership to prove the modification caused the malfunction/damage.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The burden of proof is on the dealership to prove the modification caused the malfunction/damage.
For most bolt-ons, that would be difficult to argue. But for tunes it is quite an easy argument to make.