Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Press release today (Feb 4 2020)

elphil

Reactions
Wonder what the last sentence means?

DETROIT, Feb. 4, 2020 – The 400-horsepower Ford Explorer ST -- proving there is a growing market for performance SUVs – is surpassing sales expectations and attracting new customers trading-in luxury brand vehicles.
Explorer ST is accounting for 21 percent of overall Explorer sales, with nearly 28 percent of non-Ford trade-ins coming from luxury brands. In addition, Explorer ST is helping Explorer retain its title as America’s all-time best-selling SUV, according to Ford analysis of new light vehicle registration data from IHS Markit.
“Ford ST stands for performance for enthusiasts, and Explorer ST is no exception,” said Craig Patterson, Ford SUV marketing manager. “We believe once drivers feel the power and refinement of our first-ever Explorer ST, performance bred from racetracks around the world, demand will only grow stronger.”
Redesigned from the ground up for 2020, Explorer’s rear-wheel-drive architecture enables a sportier, more athletic design, improved on- and off-road capability, and 600 pounds more in maximum towing capacity when equipped the trailer tow package and the available 3.0-liter EcoBoost® engine, which makes this the most powerful Explorer ever. Customers can now opt for enhanced dash and door details, including satin silver accents and richer surfaces for the instrument panel, steering wheel and switches.

Reactions
Im glad sales are up picking up. After cross shopping several brands with models in this class, I simply saw nothing competitive on many levels including features performance and price.

Tony L

Reactions
Wonder what the last sentence means?

DETROIT, Feb. 4, 2020 – The 400-horsepower Ford Explorer ST -- proving there is a growing market for performance SUVs – is surpassing sales expectations and attracting new customers trading-in luxury brand vehicles.
Explorer ST is accounting for 21 percent of overall Explorer sales, with nearly 28 percent of non-Ford trade-ins coming from luxury brands. In addition, Explorer ST is helping Explorer retain its title as America’s all-time best-selling SUV, according to Ford analysis of new light vehicle registration data from IHS Markit.
“Ford ST stands for performance for enthusiasts, and Explorer ST is no exception,” said Craig Patterson, Ford SUV marketing manager. “We believe once drivers feel the power and refinement of our first-ever Explorer ST, performance bred from racetracks around the world, demand will only grow stronger.”
Redesigned from the ground up for 2020, Explorer’s rear-wheel-drive architecture enables a sportier, more athletic design, improved on- and off-road capability, and 600 pounds more in maximum towing capacity when equipped the trailer tow package and the available 3.0-liter EcoBoost® engine, which makes this the most powerful Explorer ever. Customers can now opt for enhanced dash and door details, including satin silver accents and richer surfaces for the instrument panel, steering wheel and switches.
Report like this completely contradicts other reports I've read of slow Q4 sales and Explorers not being shipped to dealers.

Reactions

LT Lost

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Yeah, this was my experience. I started looking at the 3 row market almost bought a Telluride but the vehicle is underpowered based off multiple reviews I read. Also I wanted something fun to drive, so getting the ST for me just made the most sense and to get a comparative model you will spending a lot more money.

Wrxs75

Reactions
Yeah, this was my experience. I started looking at the 3 row market almost bought a Telluride but the vehicle is underpowered based off multiple reviews I read. Also I wanted something fun to drive, so getting the ST for me just made the most sense and to get a comparative model you will spending a lot more money.
My shopping thoughts Exactly....

F=MA

Reactions
Use to be GM only (1999 Tahoe, 2001 GMC Denali, 2003 Escalade all purchased new) but their SUV designs went to crap after the mid 2000's and their prices skyrocketed about the time gas went up to $4 per gallon and the GM vehicle prices have never came back down even with a bailout. Now they double down on the award losing box styling where they look right at home in any funeral prosession. Did I mention their garage hoggin size and step-ladder ease of cleaning? Now even the GM glass cleaner causes weird streaking on my ST windshield so I had to shit can that after 40 years of use (not the same can).

Last edited:

SpicyST

Reactions
I'm also cross shopping these two vehicles, but you're missing a huge point. QUALITY. Kia quality is top notch. The Explorer is a train wreck. Look up all the quality problems they've had at the Chicago plant. It's been a disaster for Ford's stock price, the way they've botched this vehicle. They've had to re-route thousands of them from Chicago to another factory in Michigan for repairs before getting to dealers because these cars were a hot mess. Top officials have had to apologize. Look up the quality ratings (JDPower, Consumer Reports, etc.)...they are dismal. Sure the performance blows the Telluride out of the water, but I'm really torn because I put a high emphasis on a quality, well engineered product and the Explorer is frightening on that score. I won't tolerate shoddy, substandard quality.

F=MA

Reactions
Wife liked the interior of a Nissan Maxima once and bought the car. Then when valet parking brought it around she saw how ugly the exterior was and traded it in on a BMW M3 convertible. They could put a $100,000 dollar interior in a Kia but it would still be candy on a turd.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I've owned Toyota highlanders since 2010 until 2020 (and Toyo sedans before that). Ok so one could present that the fit and finish is better in the Highlander, but there's other considerations as well. All cars made today blow away cars made in the 80s, 90s, early 2000s re: quality. When I go through the car wash in the Explorer, it's pretty quiet inside. In the Toyos, it sounded like the water jets were going to blast through the roof, sides etc. When I shut the door on the Explorer, it shuts with a 'solid' thud, In the Toyos, it's a 'tinny' sound, like the door will fall off if you slam it. Going over speed bumps in the Toyota, the front struts would top and bottom out. I don't even have to slow down in the Explorer. It feels like a very solid vehicle in comparison. I even called my Highlanders 'Toasters' b/c yeah, they got the job done w/o hassles but man are they boring to drive. So like most things in life, it is a give and take.

Consider there are ~3 Explorers sold per 1 Telluride. Just by numbers there will be more complaints for the Explorer if everything else is equal. So, while there is definitely opportunity for improvement, I personally find the Explorer really fun when I want to be, and very utility when I need it to be, and still outperforms almost every other car on the road. So while I do complain about some stuff, I would take the Explorer over the Highlander, Telluride, Palisade any day, and I can back what I say because I bought the Explorer.

My buddy had a Kia for a while and it was a POS, but that was maybe 10 yrs ago so I am sure they have improved their overall quality b/c it was one of Kia's priorities to improve their reputation as a brand and it seems like they have come a long way.