Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Performance Tune

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
This has probably been asked in this long thread. I talked to a speed shop about this they said will probably fail California emissions ? is this true. Second Cal has expensive gas does this tune require higher than 87? , the person I talked to at Ford said yes. $10 more a tank sounds like a bad deal for 30 more HP and some tweaks to shifting.
I'm still baffled by people that buy a performance vehicle, want to tune it and in the same breath complain about the cost of premium fuel. You should have stuck with an XLT. Seriously, you asked someone at Ford and they gave you the answer, so now you want to make sure the person from Ford was right?

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
This has probably been asked in this long thread. I talked to a speed shop about this they said will probably fail California emissions ? is this true. Second Cal has expensive gas does this tune require higher than 87? , the person I talked to at Ford said yes. $10 more a tank sounds like a bad deal for 30 more HP and some tweaks to shifting.
It is 50 state legal. And it does require premium gas. Here is the info your speed shop has no clue.
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-EX30

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I recommend to move out of that #1 state in the country. If then you still can’t afford fuel, then buy a damn Prius. I have 3 Ford Performance turbo vehicles AND a fucking Prius, so my wife can piss around with her local trips shopping, female gossip clubs, etc.

edit: if you’re running that piss water 87 in it now, just switch to 91+ and you’ll get a 30hp improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I recommend to move out of that #1 fucking shit-hole state in the country. If then you still can’t afford fuel, then buy a damn Prius. I have 3 Ford Performance turbo vehicles AND a fucking Prius, so my wife can piss around with her local trips shopping, female gossip clubs, etc.

edit: if you’re running that piss water 87 in it now, just switch to 91+ and you’ll get a 30hp improvement.
I'm confused, thought I Saw a graph comparing the FP tune to a ST running 87 and the FP tune at 91, should that be a 60Hp increase?

Reactions
I'm confused, thought I Saw a graph comparing the FP tune to a ST running 87 and the FP tune at 91, should that be a 60Hp increase?
ST's power numbers are based on 91+ octane. If you're putting anything lower than 91, you're loosing as much as a 30~ hp and are NOT making the adv. 400 hp

Fly Ty

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2025 Ford Explorer ST
The FP tune numbers are based on premium fuel.

SmittysST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 FORD Explorer ST
We shall see. It indicates 50 state street legal with a CARB# the cost of having fun a guess.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
My advice is move out of California and then second to that, what I was under the impression of was that the explorer’s advertised 400 hp was based off premium fuel, but that it did not necessarily require premium fuel, but that the FP tube does require premium fuel to hit advertised FP tune numbers, but not sure how it will react to regular fuel. Basically I accepted that the car would take premium fuel when I bought it, based off it requiring premium to achieve 400hp. If your main concern is paying less at the fuel pump then why drop the money on a tune in the first place? Very few cars run at over 400hp happily on 87 octane that I’m aware of.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Just so you understand - running anything except the highest octane fuel you can buy, in a turbo vehicle, is stupid.
"grades of gas don't matter!" is the cry of a naturally-aspirated car owner that does not have ignition timing/compression that takes advantage of, or needs high octane fuel.
What do I mean? Here's the long and short:
- High octane fuel helps suppress the conditions for pre-detonation of fuel, or "knock" (A turbo engine piston can be obliterated by knock instantly).
- This "knock" condition is more prevalent with hot air, which turbos produce (even Intercoolers produce 'hot' air, just cooler than from the turbo itself).
- The "knock" condition is also more prevalent when the air/fuel mixture is more lean
- Advanced timing, high boost (higher=hotter air), etc factor into your knock equation.

To counter the possibility of destroying your engine, there is a "knock" sensor which basically detects when you are experiencing pre-detonation, not before it. So what happens when the sensor fires? Your engine is actively de-tuned to relieve the stress on the motor.
I'll say that last part again: Your engine performance instantly decreases to safeguard the engine.
That's right, the factory tune, and any other, takes an instant nosedive when "low-grade" fuel/environmental conditions cause your engine to imperceptibly knock.

The short version:
If you run a turbo vehicle with an ECU, no matter what tune - even stock, always run the highest octane fuel you can buy.
As a bonus, when your vehicle is running at peak performance, when you are not jumping all over it, you can increase gas mileage (a little bit) - that's because with better fuel, you can run more lean without knocking. (A good tune does this even more, and even the Ford Performance tune does it, which is why it requires high octane fuel)

rich0550

Reactions
Vehicle
st 2020
Confirmed the FP tune is designed to handle ALL octanes. Performance of the tune calibrations are modulated by the octane. The engineers I spoke to were surprised & confused by the information about the risk of holes in pistons. Installing it yourself does not void any warranty. If an issue occurred they would need to show actual cause that the installation of the tune was incorrect in some way and directly related to the issue.
i called ford performance people they told me if you get the FP tune you have use 93 , if not would damage engine. Im newb so i dont know ShEt but that what they said

SmittysST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 FORD Explorer ST
Whats the number to the Ford Performance people?

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
i called ford performance people they told me if you get the FP tune you have use 93 , if not would damage engine. Im newb so i dont know ShEt but that what they said
Absolutely FALSE!