Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Pass Service Engine Soon Warning Message

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Happened to go look in the Ford Pass application and noticed a couple of new messages with the subject line of “Service Engine Soon Warning“ and an explanation that the engine control system had detected that the engine had taken too long to reach operating temperature along with a “what to do” of checking the coolant level (checked and was fine) and that I should take it in to have it looked at. No warning lights on the dash (not expected given the nature of the issue identified) and wouldn’t have known about it if I hadn’t been looking at something else in the Ford Pass application (would have expected something sent to my email address given the nature of the message). Seems like a strange message particularly since it’s summer and the engine should have no issues reaching operating temp given the outside air temps. The only issue I can think of from a slow warm up would be a possible hit on the fuel economy as opposed to an overheating message which would have more serious consequences. Has anyone else gotten a similar message?

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Just got this as well and it’s warm out so…
Any help on this would be appreciated

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
In my previous vehicle, the thermostat failed and was allowing coolant through the engine at all times, so it had a similar issue. I just had to install a new thermostat and the issue was resolved.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
Extended warm up time usually indicates a partially stuck open thermostat, a simple repair if you want to do it yourself. Or wait until the MIL is on and let Ford do it if you're still under warranty.

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I have an oil changed scheduled this Sat at the dealership anyways guess good timing …..