Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Explorer ST BIG MOUTH Ram Air Intake Snorkel

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
There were posts on this when it was in prototype stage. You can read my comments from an older thread, but my point is it's is not RAM-AIR. The effects of a forward facing scoop are negligible at less than 150 mph. So tests showing 2-4 gear pulls are more than a little suspect regardless of the person selling the part that endorses it. Now, whether it helps with ingesting cooler air (which has more impact), than the existing snorkus is another question.

Take a look at my comments here:
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/afe-momentum-gt-cai.3062/post-42182

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I won’t rehash everything I said over there because it’s all posted there but my opinion is:
Single digit differences in IAT.
Less than 1lb difference in airflow lbs per/min.
And a .05 improvement in track times that were different tracks on different days and refusal to post the pre-Big Mouth time slip says all I need to hear.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just to follow up on this, please consider this from the vendor's website:

HOW IT WORKS
As a car moves through the air, the air pressure directly in front of the bumper increases with the square of speed.

So, let's just state the obvious from this unbelievable comment. Let's just assume that air pressure is 14.7 at 1 mph. So, if we double the speed to 2 mph, we doubled the speed, right? If this comment were true, we have magically increased the air pressure 4 times (2 squared) 14.7 or 58.8 psi. Sheesh, why do we need turbos? Or perhaps this only happens at higher speeds? So you're driving 50mph at 14.7. We double the speed to 100- guess what? Once gain we have 58.7psi?

The fact is that the amount of energy required to double the speed of a car given a certain Cd (Coefficient of drag) is equal to a square of the speed. So, given a car that can go 100mph with 200 hp, to go 200mph with the same Cd will require 800 hp. It has nothing to do with air pressure.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Just to follow up on this, please consider this from the vendor's website:

HOW IT WORKS
As a car moves through the air, the air pressure directly in front of the bumper increases with the square of speed.

So, let's just state the obvious from this unbelievable comment. Let's just assume that air pressure is 14.7 at 1 mph. So, if we double the speed to 2 mph, we doubled the speed, right? If this comment were true, we have magically increased the air pressure 4 times (2 squared) 14.7 or 58.8 psi. Sheesh, why do we need turbos? Or perhaps this only happens at higher speeds? So you're driving 50mph at 14.7. We double the speed to 100- guess what? Once gain we have 58.7psi?

The fact is that the amount of energy required to double the speed of a car given a certain Cd (Coefficient of drag) is equal to a square of the speed. So, given a car that can go 100mph with 200 hp, to go 200mph with the same Cd will require 800 hp. It has nothing to do with air pressure.
I was told in my FB group by the owner that I didn’t understand what was happening because I’m not an engineer and don’t use their fancy test equipment. Then they told me dyno numbers don’t matter on this as it’s an airflow thing and only track data matters…but they won’t post the before and after track data. lol
I gave up. There’s enough posted on the FB group for most reasonable people to make their own minds up.
The data posted on their website just tells me this part does literally nothing.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The average person just believes whatever a vendor says. As an engineer and entrepreneur I try to give the vendor the benefit of the doubt. UNLESS they insult my intelligence and that of the people they're trying to part from their money. You obviously have the common sense to smell the bullshit here- I'm just trying to point out the math that makes it impossible.

Just point out to the "owner" the claim from the website I listed. Watch him squirm. Bet it's changed quickly.

I can't help but chuckle as these sort of claims always reminds me of "My Cousin Vinny".

OP
TLST22
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
I just don't like the idea of an opening where water and debris can easily get in.

Hard pass for me.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST

Attachments

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
'23 ExST, '17 Raptor, '16 FoST, FFR Cobra
I won’t rehash everything I said over there because it’s all posted there but my opinion is:
Single digit differences in IAT.
Less than 1lb difference in airflow lbs per/min.
And a .05 improvement in track times that were different tracks on different days and refusal to post the pre-Big Mouth time slip says all I need to hear.

Manuich1

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
But but guys, for $300 lights are included.... ohhhhh ahhhhh eyyyyyy..... liiiiights, I likey.... I can mesmerize SCAT PACS and/or Kia Stingers as I pass them...... Byeeee Felicia!!!!